This Is Not Your Ordinary Grocery Store Bakery

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm by KlyKat

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 27

take a look at their cake photos. They do some awesome work there, and the majority of them are done in BC! I didn't realize they made these type cakes. This is the grocery store that I shop at and would love to work in their bakery with their decorator. And, they start their wedding cake prices at $2.50 a slice on up depending on style/design. I wonder how much they charge for some of their carved cakes. I'll have to investigtate...lol. I do know they do their own baking there. I never took a peek at their cake photo album....I'm totally surprised.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/679175@N23/

Just thought I'd share that at least one grocery store knows the value of a good cake, allows their decorators to be creative and charges appropriately.

26 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #2 of 27

I bet it all depends on the experience of the cake decorator and the freedom given to them by management.

I've never seen anything like that in a grocery store bakery either! Think about all you could learn!

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:25am
post #3 of 27

I found the decorator's email and emailed him. Hopefully he'll respond. I would love to learn how he does all that with just buttercream. Truly a master of BC.

Not sure if you saw the thread from Summernoelle bout the WALL-E cake that she wanted to make. She showed a photo and it looked erily familiar. One night while at Holiday Market, I went to the bakery counter for some mini cakes to bring to a dinner party (yeah, don't ask...ran out of time) and they had this WALL-E cake on display. That's what made me hunt down their website tonight to see if it was the same one. They don't have this cake on it, but if you click on the decorator's flickr account, he has the picture in his photos. It was way cool in person!

I love this grocery store and even moreso now icon_lol.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:14am
post #4 of 27

thanks for posting this....wow, and you know if this is an in store bakery, he dudn't take hours on end to do these cakes.

lovin the cars, i gotta try one of these.

are you gonna try to get a job here?.....that would be great!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:29am
post #5 of 27

That "ornate" cake is stunning! I love the roses and the reverse shell is perfect!

Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 27

Those cakes are great! I'm from Michigan too, but I wouldn't really think of Holiday Market as a "grocery store". There's a branch near me in Royal Oak, and then we have a ton of markets in the cities all around us.

The reason I don't call them a "grocery store" is that the bakery inside the store is a whole separate division. It's like an entirely separate bakery and they usually hire pastry students/graduates. Nothing is bulk frozen and they charge competitive prices! They Holiday Market around me starts at 3.50 a serving.

All the markets around me have awesome cakes though! icon_lol.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 27

Great cakes.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 27

Fabulous cakes!! It really is nice to see a bakery which solely basis it's cakes around Buttercream and all the things you can do with it also..Don's roses are exceptional!! I wish I could do some of those techniques!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 27

Wow, his cakes are great!!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 27

icon_eek.gif Wow icon_eek.gif This guy has some serious talent. I love his style, and would love to learn his techniques.....I've saved this site to my favorites, you just want to stare at each cake and try to absorb each and every one of them icon_smile.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 27

Sweet Dreams - I've never been in the one in RO, but the one in Canton I certainly consider a grocery store. It's just like a Kroger's or Bushes, but way better. That's the only place we go shopping for our groceries. I'll have to check out the one in RO sometime just to see the differences. I just hate shopping anywhere but there and it's rare that I can't find what I need at Holiday that would require me to go to a Kroger.

Oh and from what one of the employees told me is the two Holiday Markets are no longer together. There was a falling out or something between the two and they split. Not sure how long ago that was.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 27

The topsy turvy cake is so cute. DO they list their prices online?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 27

Obviously an independent grocery store.. gotta love that! icon_smile.gif

I wish we had a nice independently owned grocery store around here that could support a nice bakery.. we have a couple small mom& pop type places, but nothing big.

It's nice to see the in store bakery elevated to this level.

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #14 of 27

No, they do not. This is all they say....

Quote:
Quote:

We offer a number of cake flavors, our traditional/basic ones are: white, chocolate, marble and yellow.

Any other type of batter is considered a special batter. They can be anything including, but not limited to:
-Cherry chip
-Cherry chip nut
-White cake w/ choc chips
-Banana
-Banana nut
-Yellow cake w/ coconut flakes in batter
-German chocolate
-Carrot cake
-Eggless (yellow or chocolate)
-Chocolate guacamole and chives (hey, it's up to you!)

Now, these are just a few cakes that we can bake for your order. Prices vary by size and cake design. It isn't recommended that you choose a special batter for sculptured cake, as the cake usually has not had enough time to set in order to stack and or cut down to size. We will be happy to accomodate you in any way though.

Before I started decorating and for my daughter's 2nd BDay, I had Holiday make her birthday cake. They made an eggless cake and decorated it the Care Bear Theme. It was a 1/4 sheet and I beleive I paid $45, maybe slightly less. That's why I never thought they charged a lot for their cakes. But when I saw the Wall-E cake on display, I started asking questions. I'll have to go back and see if they have a price list in a brochure or something.

Yes, I love that it is a family owned grocery store and not a national chain, but don't let that fool ya. It's the same size as a Kroger and has the look of a chain store (better decor tho) so it isn't your run of the mill ma & pa store. Their deli section and meat department are amazing! Butchers to get you all your deli and meat for you. I love the service. I'm glad I looked up their cakes last night. I was really surprised to see the work they produce there.

No, I don't think I would make nearly as much as I make at my day job, otherwise, I'd be applying right now instead of on the NET. icon_lol.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 27

Well that is nice they have that there. I went to a "bakery' in my small town. It was a glorified donut shop! The lady didn't even speak english. There were mexican cookies and breads in the display case, no cakes displayed. There was a "decopac" book! LOL

I am glad though. icon_wink.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 27

I wonder what kind of buttercream they use...it looks so 'silky'.? I had to go back and look at them again..so much great work.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #17 of 27

i have so enjoyed looking at these cakes...i've saved a lot of the pics...thanks again for posting this,could you post a link to walle?...i've looked and looked....duh

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #18 of 27

The Wall E caked was part of his personal Flickr account. I'm not sure why since he had it on display on Holiday Market. Anyway, here it is. There are many cakes in his personal account that aren't on the Holiday Flickr photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donbuciak/2674533731/in/set-72157603989542553/

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 27

Did anyone notice how many licensed characters were being recreated on that site? That decorator is extremely talented, but a lot more gutsy than me to sell so many "no-no" cakes!
Lori

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:22am
post #20 of 27

I love the cakes. I showed emailed the photos to my neighbor next door. (Teacher at International Culinary School and other schools NY area. He loved the cakes. especially the roses.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:52am
post #21 of 27

I love the technique of the cartoon drawing of outlines with black icing. I think he must have an art background. That's not even taking into account the wonderful carvings he does.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:21pm
post #22 of 27

Wow, those cakes are fabulous. It's a great site to browse.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #23 of 27

Do they taste good? I've seen some pretty things in my neighborhood (chain) grocery store but they sure don't taste very good.

Trixyinaz Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #24 of 27

Actually, they don't taste bad. We ordered one for a last minute meeting at work (I didn't have time to make one on such short notice) for tomorrow. I'll let you know the commetns. I think they taste pretty good. I got a full sheet - half white with lemon filling, half chocolate with bavarian filling.

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #25 of 27

I just worked my first day at a neighborhood grocery store. they don't bake there cakes or make there buttercream. however, it gives me time to learn speed and work on my piping skills, plus the display case is mine to do whatever i want with. so, i guess i'll stay there about six months part time while i save up a little cash.

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #26 of 27

What beautiful cakes! I like their use of color and their technique looks excellent. My favorite was the "ornate" sheet cake. I live in a suburb of Los Angeles and no bakery or cake shop does anything like that. I want that for my next birthday. I'll have to make it myself.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

That "ornate" cake is stunning! I love the roses and the reverse shell is perfect!

I love that one too...I couldn't stop looking at it icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%