Raising Prices

Business By SpudCake Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm by FromScratch

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 5

I am in the process of raising my prices to an across the board $2. per serving for buttercream. I am having a hard time with this on my sheet cakes. My rounds and squares I feel ok with but for some reason I feel that price is too high for sheets. My brain says it is fine but .....here is an example of my price war in my head.

Current price New price
9x13 $35 $48
11x15 45 70
12x18 60 108
24x36 90 216

My most current cake I posted today I sold for $35 (my "profit" on this was $24 before utilities or time). I am so torn on this. Any ideas or suggestions?

Joanne usaribbon.gif

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 5

Based on the number of servings, these seem to work out to about $2/serving, with the exception of the 24x36, which is $1/serving.

24x36 is not "double" a 12x18. If you place two 12x18's side by side, you have a 18x24, not a 36x24. you would need two MORE cakes to make it a square 24x36. I think that's where you went wrong in your figuring on that one.

Mine are $1.50/serving for sheets (no delivery). Some folks pay it without batting an eye .... some go into sticker shock.

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 5

Indy, that was a misquote on my part. My number is also a 18 x 24 I typed it wrong. After I wrote this I kept thinking about it and $1.50 per serving is what I kept telling my husband maybe I should go with on sheets. I keep coming back to the same amount of cake....blah blah. But, people have ingrained in their minds (myself also) that a sheet should cost less. In reality it's the same amount of cake but less construction and a little less icing (since there is no double layer). Maybe I just answered my own question........... icon_biggrin.gif

Joanne usaribbon.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 5

I hear ya on the 'sheet cake should cost less' thing. Whenever I get someone who says that, I always look dumb and ask "Why?" icon_confused.gif

They usually come up with the "less decorating" thing and I tell them, "Who told you that big lie?" icon_lol.gif

I go on to tell them, "Well, I guess if a bakery charges for the different designs, if they nickel and dime ya to death, that would make sense. But since I don't charge for design elements, there's nothing to add or deduct if those design elements are added or eliminated."

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 5

If your sheets aren't filled then I could see charging a bit less for them, but if they are.. no way.

I don't do sheet cakes, but if I did.. they'd be the same price as my other cakes. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%