Christmas Cookies In September

Baking By stsapph Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm by Honeydukes

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 16

ok, not really, but I am trying to find an absolutely killer recipe for this upcoming holiday and am getting an early start. Basically, my Mom's friends have a cookie party every years and I went for the first time last year. I made some basic cookies not knowing what to expect. They have a contest to see who has the best tasting cookies and the best tasting. I am going for both this year! icon_evil.gificon_biggrin.gif The thing is, there are like 20-30 women who show up every year, so I need small cookies as they tend to steer clear of large ones since you are supposed to try all of the cookies to properly vote. So, does anyone have an awesome christmas cookie that can easily be decorated? TIA and I can't wait to see some of these suggestions as you are all so talented!
Amber

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 16

Good 'ole NFSC!!! You could use a cookie cutter the size of a half dollar (like Silver Dollar Pancakes .... only they're Silver Dollar Cookies!).

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 16

In the spring someone had posted a great chocolate roll out cookie... I can't find it though! Maybe it was lost in the crash! Would anyone have a copy of it?

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 16

You said "best tasting" and "best tasting"?! Are just looking for a great tasting cookie or decorated or what? icon_confused.gif

Bijoudelanuit, I think this is the recipe you're looking for:
Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookies
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6959-Dark-Chocolate-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies.html

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 16

Honeydukes,

Thanks so much for finding it! I was sure someone would have it!

Many thanks icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

You said "best tasting" and "best tasting"?! Are just looking for a great tasting cookie or decorated or what? icon_confused.gif

Bijoudelanuit, I think this is the recipe you're looking for:
Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookies
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6959-Dark-Chocolate-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies.html

Mmmmm yummy! These taste just like warm brownies out of the oven. I love'em BUT DH think they are too rich. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif I completely disagree but it goes to show you everyone has different tastes. I;ve disregarded what he said and i use this soley as my chocolate cut out cookie dough.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 16

Those Dark Choc rolled cookies are out of this world! I don't even make NFSC anymore because they are so good (like a brownie in cookie form). I say definitely try those!!!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #8 of 16

I also tried the dark chocolate rolled cookies and they were awesome! Any cookie that looks good in gingerbread, would look good in dark chocolate. I'm specifically thinking of snowflakes. You can find snowflake cookies in many sizes and you could make more than one size for variety and interest.

These are from the CC gallery.

by mrs_planeflyer

by mitsel8

There are many more there and you could Google snowflake cookies, too.

Good luck.

Honeydukes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 16

One of my favorite exchange cookies is a mini light bulb. I do them in the old fashioned colors -- orange, blue, green, red and white. I dip them and then paint the bottom with silver lustre dust. Very quick and very cute. Since they're small each person can take a few of colors. Many people don't make decorated sugar cookies, so it has a lot of impact for not much work. You can also poke a hole (before baking) and string a few of them together with licorice.

Here's my favorite bulb cutter (minis at bottom):
http://www.thelittlefoxfactory.com/cookiecutterschristmas.html
(You can find lots of versions online and in cake stores.)

Here's an example of the cookie:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31RTAGB2ZHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 16

Oh, cute idea, Honeydukes!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for the recipe....I am always on the look out for a good chocolate rolled cookie.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #12 of 16

honeydukes - what do you mean by "you dip them". dip them in what?

stsapph Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks everyone!! Yes, I meant best tasting and best decorated..oops. Guess you know which I was focusing on at the time! icon_wink.gif

Kim, your cookies are gorgeous!! Very pretty.
I really like the idea of the Chocolate Roll out cookies, and I had been playing with the idea of dipping them into a mint chocolate. Then I could decorate after the chocolate hardened.

Thanks again everyone. I have lots of ideas rolling in my head now!! icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:34pm
post #14 of 16

Here is the link to the Christmas cookie recipe thread. It is only good through the 15th page, sorry.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-11675.html

stsapph Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #15 of 16

the crash of '08 strikes again!

Honeydukes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

honeydukes - what do you mean by "you dip them". dip them in what?

icon_redface.gif I meant I dip them in a cookie glaze. Let them dry. And then paint them with silver LD. There's no outlining and filling -- which I'm terrible at!

Kim_in_CajunCountry: "...Any cookie that looks good in gingerbread..."

I bet snowflakes would be really pretty on that chocolate SC! I'm gonna try it for my haunted houses this year. I found some really cute candy just yesterday so I bought a bunch -- for testing purposes only, of course! icon_razz.gif White chocolate dipped pretzel dots and caramel flavored candy corn!!![/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%