What Kind Of Coloring Do I Use To Paint On Fondant?

Decorating By Iva1976 Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm by Iva1976

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 13

I would like to paint leopard spots on my fondant.....what kind of coloring do I use? icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 13

Use paste colors thinned down with a little vodka. If you want an opaque effect, you can use paste color mixed with white paste color...but don't add any vodka to that mix, it doesn't work.

I just use the Wilton colors. The more vodka you use, the faster it will dry but the lighter it will be. If you use straight paste color it may take it a day to dry.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 13

Texas_rose is right about the gel colors mixed with vodka - it works great. If you decide you want to paint more often, I would invest in a mini-kit of airbrush colors. These are in liquid form already and are easier to work with - just squirt out the color you want (or combine several) and you are good to go. Then you don't have to worry about the vodke, working quickly (drinking some of it icon_lol.gif , etc....)

I happened to have a 10 pack kit of the airbrush colors and decided to try them out and now that's all I use for fondant painting. I did just read that someone said you learn in art class never to use color straight from the bottle or tube (not sure why) but it's better to combine so I will have to try that next time.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 13

I use americolor gels, straight up.

Iva1976 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks!! I'm new at this....and I feel lost sometimes icon_cry.gif I have one more question icon_redface.gif How long do I have to wait after I lay the fondant to paint it? CakeDiva73, where would you recommend I purchase or find info. on the airbrush kit? Ok. sorry, too many questions..... icon_smile.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 13

you don't have to wait at all. Once you put the fondant on you are good to go. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 13

You can paint it right away.

I have the vodka in a bottle with a dropper. You can buy empty bottles like that at Sun Harvest. They have very small necks so you need to use a funnel to fill it up. I just add a drop as necessary if it starts to dry out. It makes it really easy to mix.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 13

Also, if you don't want to use vodka or don't have any, you can use extracts. Citrus ones tend to work better as they have higher alcohol %....

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 13

I got my airbrush colors at the cake decorating store but they sell them at GSA and at alot of places online. And they are rather cheap, IMHO....about $2 a bottle. They sold a 10 pack for $20 and that's the one we got.

You can absolutely use the gel colors, I just like the total convenience of using the airbrush liquid....its a bit thicker (but you could add vodka to make it more of a watercolor) and applies and dries nicely.

I rolled the fondant, applied to warm cookies and only waited until the fondant had cooled to start painting. If you are applying to cake, you can paint as soon as it's applied. This is my favorite way to decorate - it's so creative and unique!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 13

As for the dropper bottles, you can sometimes get them at the drugstore or my local health food store has some.

I am new at this cake decorating thing too.........and I'm going to try painting a fish cake tonight!

So good luck to you!!

Susan

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin40

As for the dropper bottles, you can sometimes get them at the drugstore or my local health food store has some.

I am new at this cake decorating thing too.........and I'm going to try painting a fish cake tonight!

So good luck to you!!

Susan

Sounds neat! You can add some (if you type it without the spaces, the rest of your words disappear, so ignore the spaces!) p e a r l dust to the mix of color and vodka to get that shiny fish look.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 13

when I paint on cake/cookies I use americolor gels straight out of the bottle, they dry in just a couple of minutes and are not tacky to the touch and don't smear once they're dry. IMO when I use the extract/vodka with gel colors they still are tacky even after over an hour of drying time and if put on too thick will smear quite easily to the touch.

Here are some examples of the americolors on fondant, royal icing, and chocolate clay

edited to say: not sure why the other attachments aren't coming across.
LL
LL
LL
LL

Iva1976 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all so much...Suddenly I don't feel so lost!! icon_biggrin.gif

(KHalstead) Wow, Beautiful cookies icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%