Need Help Figuring Out How To Do This Gingham'ish Pattern

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm by eneq

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 16

HELP! A customer would like me to try to come up with a way to include this pattern on a cake. It's going to be a topsy-turvy with a big bow on top, but they want the bow solid pink. They suggested this pattern on the bottom and dots on top.

How can I do this? I need suggestions, tips, other ideas (?)

TIA!!
LL

15 replies
MacsMom Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 16

Should I just lay strips across each other or try to basketweave them? I have no idea how to basketweave.

Should I roll out a sheet of fondant, lay the strips on, and then wrap it around the tier like you would a chocolate transfer?

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 16

I would say just lay them directly on the cake. Cut all your strips with the different colors and start laying them. It may be easier then you think. Good luck, I bet it will be cute. Maybe someone else has done something like this and can help. Love those colors.

MacsMom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 16

I think I'm just going to paint them on.

I just saw an Ace of Cakes episode where Mary Alice cut out squares of various degrees of each shade and connected them, rather than laying down strips.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 16

I would paint it on. I would would first paint the pink since that looks like the most prominent color and once that Has dried I would go back and paint the other colors. Paint right over top of the pink where the lines intersect. (Hope that makes sense!)

MacsMom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks for the tip! I will do a practice cake first!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 16

Painting makes more sense. You won't get the color variations where the strips intersect if you use fondant strips. Practice painting on a piece of rolled out fondant.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #8 of 16

yeah, painting would get the right look better than you would get with fondant strips. I did one with fondant strips, its in my photos. Its the red white and black topsy-turvy....Can't wait to see it!! Make sure you post it and let me know when you get done!!! Its going to be awesome!! icon_smile.gif I'm jealous of your cake order!! LOL

MacsMom Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #9 of 16

Thanks for the visual, Sarsi! I love your cakes!!

Yes, I'll post a pic when I'm done. It's not due until Oct 4th, I just wanted to get a head start on figuring it all out!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:32am
post #10 of 16

Not that I have any idea of what I am talking about LOL but I would paint it too. Did you see Aine2's video of how she did a Scottish tartan? It's the same theory: a plaid. And yep, she painted it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:53am
post #11 of 16

I would say the EASIEST way would be to get an edible image or two made of it and apply them to the sides.

http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/11511/Be_mine_forever_Logo.JPG

MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 16

Geeez... I guess I'm relieved because doing a plaid design on a slanted cake (topsy turvy) would be tricky, but she's changed her mind icon_confused.gif .

She was concerned as to how the painted plaid on the bottom tier would look against the 2D polka dots on the top tier, so I sent her some photos to let her decide which she liked best. I fell in love with the floral design on jaklotz' cake, so I asked if she'd rather have that than dots.

Well, I included SugarCreation's cake with "baby" imprinted on the polka dots, and she fell in love with the bows on the stripes!

So I have ended up having to copy SugarCreation's idea rather than doing my own design. I do love SugarCreation's cake, don't get me wrong, I was just hoping to have another original cake in my credentials, lol. Well, at least I get to put a big bow on top instead of the shoes, bear and rattle icon_rolleyes.gif

Jaklotz' http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1193666.html
LL

Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:47am
post #13 of 16

Awe...shucks, huh!?!?!?! I was excited to see how it was going to turn out too!! But this cake is adorable as well!! Is it from CC??

MacsMom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #14 of 16

I thought I originally saw her cakes here, but now I'm not sure. She inspires a lot of copy-cat cakes, though!
http://www.sugarcreations.com/

Sarsi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 16

Cool!! Thank you!!

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 16

rebecca sutterby (sugar creations) is a member here. her member name is cakebaker. i'm so happy she's on here cause she's such an inspiration!!! i love her work....so clean!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%