Fresh Raspberries

Decorating By msauer Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 3:32am by PinkZiab

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

I have a customer who wants "fresh raspberries in the middle" of the cake, but I've never done it. So, do you just wash them raspberries and put them in whole? Do you smash them a bit? Do you add sugar?

What do you guys do?

TIA!!

-Michelle

3 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #2 of 4

You could do it any number of ways, but if she asked for "fresh raspberries" I would leave them whole. You should probably clarify though exactly what she wants, since if you DO go with whole raspberries you need a filling to anchor them (either buttercream, custard, mousse, etc), so ask her what exactly she would like.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:25am
post #3 of 4

Heyyyy, Michelle!

You know, I avoid them all together. I use Dickinson's Seedless Raspberry Preserves, instead.

My DH & I eat a small box of raspberries several times a week. We have a hard time finding them in the stores without them already growing little bits of fuzz. They just go bad sooooo fast--even when refrigerated! Our rule is that if they won't be consumed within 36 hrs., we just don't buy them anymore.

I worry that fresh berries will mold too quickly if the cake sits at room temp for any length of time. I honestly don't know if sugaring them would retard spoilage or expedite it....They're just too fragile for my tastes.

Sorry not to have any words of advice.
Rae

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #4 of 4

Sugar would actually help preserve them, but yes the cake would DEFINITELY be refrigerated. I most often use fresh whole raspberries with a mousse filling (either chocolate or raspberry, usually) and have never had mold or spoilage issues. But I refrigerate all of my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%