How To Get Silver

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm by all4cake

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 15

I am going to be making a dallas cowboy helmet cake. I really would like to cover it with silver. But prefer buttercream. I don't have an airbrush system. Is there anyway to get silver. I know I should start with grey. I know I saw a receipe for silver using piping gel. should i use grey and then cover it with this silver piping gel. If there is anyway to do this well, please let me know.

14 replies
julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:18am
post #2 of 15

When I was searching for a "metallic" question I had, I came across this website.
http://kitchengifts.com/sheencolors.html
it's color you use in an airbrush, but you can paint it on as well. I haven't used it, but maybe it would work for you. I also saw a recipe for silver in the recipe forum. I don't remember who had it, but I searched "metallic" and it came up in the recipes.

shanasweets Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:28am
post #3 of 15

I just had an idea. If I ice my cake with buttercream, smooth and refrigerate. Will this harden the icing well enough to paint?
'

shanasweets Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 15

any thoughts this morning??

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 15

I think so, I would first practice on something besides the cake so that you don't mess up your cake. it's def. worth a try, assuming you have the time.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 15

I painted a rainbow effect on a crusted buttercream. I used piping gel that was colored. It gave me the look I was after. I think you should color the icing gray the paint with the silver. I would do a practice piece first. Good Luck!!!!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 15

Don't they make a canned spray?

shanasweets Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #8 of 15

I looked at the can spray, no silver. I read on a wilton board message (found thru google), that you make grey with a little black and then add few drops of royal blue. according to post, this will make silver.
Has anyone tried this. I have to work, so won't be able to test til later next week.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltoklahoma

I just had an idea. If I ice my cake with buttercream, smooth and refrigerate. Will this harden the icing well enough to paint?
'

loves2bake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #10 of 15
Quote:

'

Yes, but u need to use the crusting kind and paint w/soft brush. very gently.

(sry, I just saw this post..uve probably already made & sold this cake..lol)

shanasweets Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:57am
post #11 of 15

I am not making until sep 18. so any other ideas still appreciated.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:58am
post #12 of 15
Quote:

I looked at the can spray, no silver. I read on a wilton board message (found thru google), that you make grey with a little black and then add few drops of royal blue. according to post, this will make silver.
Has anyone tried this. I have to work, so won't be able to test til later next week.

I have and I got a more grey than silver. To me silver has to have the sheen unlike the flat of grey. So I bought Pearl Airbrush from DecoPac and it gives colors that sheen, shiny look I was going for. HTH K'ly

loves2bake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlyKat

Quote:

I have and I got a more grey than silver. To me silver has to have the sheen unlike the flat of grey. So I bought Pearl Airbrush from DecoPac and it gives colors that sheen, shiny look I was going for. HTH K'ly

That's a great idea!

shanasweets Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 15

I bought some americolor silver sheen for airbrush. Can I mix this directly with my buttercream and get silver, or will I have to paint it on. I am making cupcakes tommarrow for a party and going to steal one and test .

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #15 of 15

If you decide to go with grey with pearl over it, PME makes a canned pearl spray....

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=3995

no need for airbrush or brushing it on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%