Pictures

Decorating By mjnj Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 5:55am by indydebi

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 10

Hey Everybody.
I work in a cake decorating supply store in Salt Lake City and I have pressured my bosses into buying two giant magnet boards on which to display cake photos. After all, what do cake decorators like more than looking at pictures of cakes? I am hoping that our customers will bring us pics to hang, but until then do you think it would be ok, as long as I credited the artist, if I printed photos from here and hung them in my store? It seems ok to me but I need some validation here. Thanks!

9 replies
MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 10

I'd be fine with letting you use any of my pictures. I'm in Canada, and am always happy to share!

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 10

I'd ask the person before you posted their pic. Make sure you give credit where credit is due, and you should be fine!
You have permission on mine! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 10

You might want to PM the individuals whose cakes you would like to post on your display board, just so that they can tell you how they would like to be credited (ie. by their screen name? or by their real name, city and state?) Of course the pics are publicly posted here on the internet and displaying them on a board in your shop is not the same as PUBLISHING them on your own website which is what really causes the furor around here. Plus, you are a decorator's supply store and not a bakery so it's not like you are trying to claim these designs as your own!

I still think that asking for permission and crediting each photo would be a very generous thing to do since the pics are from a tightly knit community and not just torn out of (for example) random cooking magazines. But honestly even if you can't reach some of the decorators, I'd be surprised if anyone was offended by your use of their shots on an in-store board whose sole purpose is to display beautiful cakes made by decorators around the country and world.

Just my 2cents!

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 10

you have my permission too as long as you do not alter the photo or remove my watermark. GREAT IDEA

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 10

It doesn't bother me as long as I'm asked for my permission first. Several times I've been surprised to see my work on someone elses web site with no credit or permission.

You also need to decide if the cakes are for inspiration or if you plan to do the same quality of work as is in the picture. I've heard of more disappointed people who pick a picture, get the cake, and then find out the decorator didn't have the skills to execute.

Good luck.

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the input everyone. Right now I just have a lot of space to fill but hopefully once people start seeing my "gallery" they will be begging me to put up their pics. icon_razz.gif To all the CC'rs in Utah--check out the new Bakers C and C. We are making some big changes!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 10

Just a reminder, she works in a cake decorating supply store and the pics are only for display on an in-store bulletin board, for people buying cake supplies to look at, ogle over and admire the mad skills of the CC community (LOL but it's true!). They're not for use at a bakery nor for publishing on a website thumbs_up.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:35am
post #9 of 10

mjnj,

Thanks for the heads up about Baker's C&C. I'll have to go check it out soon! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:55am
post #10 of 10

I would be honored if you used any of mine! Credited, please (just because I love the idea of seeing my name in print, even if I'm not there to see it! icon_lol.gif )

What a great sales tool for your shop! If you want to push cupcake supplies, you can post a number of different cupcakes and cupcake-cakes. When you're pushing a special cake stand, display cakes made with that stand. In Jan/Feb, post pics of Valentine Cakes. Halloween cakes in October and Mother's Day cakes in May.

Man, you can really run with this idea!! I'll bet if you present it to the boss as a sales tool and not just a "it would be fun" thing, he'd be more likely to go with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%