Wasc Problem Need Help

Decorating By jolmk Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 2:33am by loriemoms

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 9

All of sudden my wasc cakes aren't rising in the center. At first they would rise into a little dome, then become perfectly flat when they cooled, now there is a dip in the center like they're not rising. I haven't changed anything. Would humidity cause this to happen? I always use an oven thermometer, it's reading right.

TIA
Jo

I should add that I bake at 350 and use bake even strips, would a flower nail in the center help?

8 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 9

There could be a number of different reasons....

1. what size pan (if it's larger than 10" I use heating cores.)
2. what oven temp. are you baking at? recommended 325 deg.
3. are you baking it long enough? It may be underbaked.
4. are you over mixing?

My WASC doesn't rise as much as other recipes that I use so I fill the pans a little more than usual. I use Bake-even strips and bake at 325 for longer than other cakes.
I'm not at a high altitude, not sure where you are but, has this ever been a factor for you with other recipes?

Good luck, I hope you figure out what the problem is....WASC is one of my new favorites lately icon_smile.gif
Deb

jolmk Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 9

OK, The first time it happened, it was a 10" cake and only the chocolate ones were affected. Today I'm making marble and all are affected 6" up to an 11x15 sheet. Some the whole center is sunk some just little dips here and there. It's 84 degrees and 55% humidity but, I'm in a/c.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 9

Hum, that's weird.

I've never made chocolate WASC, but the flavor shouldn't have any impact on the final results.

I would lower your oven to the recommended 325 deg., it's a pain because it does take a lot longer to bake the larger cakes, but it's such a dense recipe that it needs to cook at a lower temp. for even baking.

Tap the pans lightly to let all the airbubbles escape, I'm sure you're doing that, but sometimes I get it in the oven and realize I forgot to do this.

The only other thing I can think of is.....Did you change cake mix brands? or Are they expired?

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 9

I always over fill my pans and I have never used a nail with the WASC and mine ALWAYS rise above the pan. I mostly use a 12x18. I bake mine at 325. It does take alot longer, but it works for me.

I wish I could help more, sorry.

Messy Baker

jolmk Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 9

In the past I've made all sizes and they came out great, so I am really at a loss as to what is going on .

Jo

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 9

what brand cake mix you using? I remember reading a thread here a while back where dh cake mixes weren't rising...

jolmk Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #8 of 9

I am using dh mixes, I always have before. Would the brand of sour cream make a difference?

Jo

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:33am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolmk

I am using dh mixes, I always have before. Would the brand of sour cream make a difference?

Jo

I don't think it was all dh mixes..just some that were produced during a certain date.

And yes, if the sour cream is too watery or is low fat, it won't work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%