Can It Be Spared?!?!?!

Decorating By Postal_Cakemaker Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 12:29am by kakeladi

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 6

Baking my first wedding cake today. (Wedding this Saturday 9/7).

It's a three tiered cake. The first two tiers came out great!!!

The bottom tier was a different story. Since I'm new to this I have only one pan of each and was baking two, 2" cakes to put together with raspberry filling. The bottom was baked and out of the oven and cooling in the pan. I cut the top off and it wasn't exactly smooth so I flipped it onto a cake board, turned my back to do something and when I turned around it had cracked in half!!

My question is can it be spared or do I need to make another?? If it can I was going to make it the top.

Appreciate any and all advice!!!

5 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 6

Because its the bottom tier and the one needed for support, I would rebake. I know its not what you want to hear, but better safe than sorry!

If it makes you feel any better, last weekend I dropped a cake on the floor and it broke into a million pieces! I mean it literally rolled right off the cooling rack and onto the floor - at midnight!

Good luck!!

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 6

I'll probably re-bake so it's done the right way.

I'll try making some cake balls out of the disaster.

A million pieces!!! Wow I would have FREAKED out on that one!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 6

I did - I screamed a cuss word and then because I was mad decided that husband should be up and mad with me - so I woke him up to tell him that I dropped the cake. And he said "are you alright", to which I replied (very loudly) - "NO, I'm not alright, I dropped the damn cake!!"

I was able to manage without, thank goodness - It was supposed to be the "peak" on the snoopy cake in my pics, but I cut it so that I didn't need it - and it still worked out.

Good luck on your wedding cake - make sure you post pics!!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 6

You should be ok. I broke one of the layers for the bottom of the layers for the wedding cake I made and I just used it as the top layer on the bottom tier. It was fine. I crumb coated it and put it in the fridge overnight. It was fine. I even used wooden dowels so I wouldnt rebake. IMHO

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #6 of 6

I see you already rebaked but in the future know if it is the bottom tier and only one layer of that you can piece it together w/icing and use it as the bottom layer w/the other one on top of it. As long as yhou have a **very** heavy board -- like a cake drum or masonite board it will be just fine.

Next time, as soon as you take the cake out of the pan, turn it over on another rack so what was the bottom of the cake in the pan is on the rack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%