Egg Yokes?

Baking By leily Updated 15 Aug 2005 , 2:38am by Ironbaker

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Aug 2005 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 6

What do all of you do with all of those egg yokes left over after making a recipe that calls for only egg whites?

I just made an Angel food cake and now I have 12 egg yokes left. Is there a good recipe out there I can use them in? I hate to throw that many away.

Leily

5 replies
Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 6

I was wondering the same thing. I found a french vanilla buttercream recipie that calls for egg whites. It seems like such a waste of egg to me.

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 6

lemon curd for filling (:

I think you can freeze them too, but you need to add sugar or something.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 6

Nicki, Do you have a recipe for the lemon curd filling? that sounds really good, but don't want to just go pick out a recipe. I would like anyones suggestions for good recipes. Thanks!

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 14 Aug 2005 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 6

If you want something non-sweet, you could make hollandaise sauce. Requires egg yolks, lemon juice, butter, salt and water. Goes great on artichokes, broccoli, asparegus (sp?) and eggs benedict. The only trick is you have to have a double boiler. Just a thought. PM me if you want the recipe. I make it all the time for artichokes.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 2:38am
post #6 of 6

This is a recipe I use for lemon curd. It is Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe, author of The Cake Bible. It's posted on one of her sites for a lemon bar recipe that is oh so good..

2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
4 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
3 fluid oz. of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 1/2 lemons)
4 tbsp unsalted butter (softened or cut into pieces)
pinch of salt

(directions from her site)

In a heavy non-reactive saucepan, beat the yolks and sugar until well blended. Stir in the lemon juice, butter and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly (be sure to scrape the sides of the pan), until thickened and resembling hollandaise sauce, which thickly coats a wooden spoon but is still liquid enough to pour. The mixture will change from translucent to opaque and begin to take on a yellow color on the back of a wooden spoon. It must not be allowed to come to a boil or it will curdle. Whenever steam appears, remove the pan briefly from the heat, stirring constantly, to keep the mixture from boiling. When the curd has thickened, pour it at once into a strainer. Press with the back of a spoon until only the coarse residue remains. Discard the residue (or enjoy it as a treat-it tastes great). Stir gently to mix in the zest sitting in the bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%