My Candy Clay Experience

Decorating By Kelrak Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 5:18am by Kelrak

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:51am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I tried to make an ipod from candy clay and it didn't turn out great. It's in my photos. The stuff is greasy and hard to use. Is it because it was old? (it was from a month ago). Did I make the candy clay wrong? It was a little bit crumbly, not smooth no matter how long I kneaded it. I got the recipe on here.

Would you mix in gumpaste? Just use fondant instead? It's just for my daughter & a few friends, so I'm going to use it anyway. I'm also attaching a picture of the Jonas Brothers.

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 4

The I pod really doesn't look that bad. I mix my candy clay 1/2 and 1/2 with fondant, it makes the fondant taste better and it makes it easier to handle.

As far as the candy clay being grainy and oily it has to do with the mixing/kneading of it. If over mixed when you make it, it will tend to separate a bit, and give you that look. mixing it with fondant will help to deter that

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 4

Another thing you can do is, when the modeling chocolate is made and you've turned it out onto your wax-paper-lined cookie sheet to cool, as soon as it's cool enough to handle, pick it up and knead out some of the excess oil. Stand over the sink because it's messy. When you stop getting the oil coming out, set it aside to cool completely overnight.

That's what I do with mine and it's always smooth and nice.

HTH,
Deanna

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:18am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

Another thing you can do is, when the modeling chocolate is made and you've turned it out onto your wax-paper-lined cookie sheet to cool, as soon as it's cool enough to handle, pick it up and knead out some of the excess oil. Stand over the sink because it's messy. When you stop getting the oil coming out, set it aside to cool completely overnight.

That's what I do with mine and it's always smooth and nice.

HTH,
Deanna

If there is a next time, I'll try that and mix with fondant as well.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%