Have You Been Scammed Or Close To Being Scammed?

Business By aprilcake Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm by sugahjunior

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

So are you all telling me my brand new Nigerian friend really isn't my friend? He promised me 50,000,000. I was hoping to use part of that money for my other newest best friend, the one that promises to grow certain parts of an anatomy. Well, my dreams have just come crashing to the floor. Oh the tradgedy of it all. icon_biggrin.gif

mike

LMAO!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #32 of 42

Got 2 phone calls tonight from a TTD for the hearing impaired inquiring about a wedding cake. Then I recieved an email from the guy and the following is what it said:

Hi ,

thanks for the phone conversation and i want this understated cake done for me.

Basic Cake Flavors.... White.

Specialty Fruit Fillings... Red Raspberry

Cake Flavors... Chocolate Fudge

Tiers.... 5

Specialty Flavors..... Italian... A delightful moist cake with chopped pecans and coconut topped off with cream cheese icing

Cake Enhancements.... Cake Stands & Plateaus

Icings: Vanilla fondant

And i want the decoration to be flowers.

Design.. Icing Roses and fondant leaves covered in gold luster dust adorn this cake.

And i want you to understand that the cake is needed for a wedding on the 25th of October and it will be picked up at your place by the 24th So i will look forward for the cost of the cake so i will be able to forward you my credit card number and expiration date.

Thanks.

This feels like a scam, but I'm not sure so I emailed back requesting a consultation and tasting date.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 5:15am
post #33 of 42

Uh, yeah, that's a scam! Send him that FBI link!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:04pm
post #34 of 42

I got the TDD call a few weeks ago. I guess I'm really in business now that I am getting scammed! icon_smile.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #35 of 42

MNsnow, I got that same call last night!! he emailed me and said pick up date was the same as yours. dude, how's he going to pick up both our cakes on the same day? smiling.
these scammers are getting better.
he said reception was going to be in St. Louis because I thought it probably was a scam and told him I do not allow for wedding c cake pick ups...let me have reception site info and I'll talk to them about delivery time. thats when he said it was in St. Louis and would have some one pick it up.
I'm thinking I am going to respond back with a "piss off"
grrrr waisting my time. grrrr

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #36 of 42

since I've already been coresponding with the scammer I sent one more, and said that I have a friend at the FBI that wants wants to talk to him. He will contacting you soon.
then signed it,
piss off
scammer.

that made me feel better.

melody

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #37 of 42

oh good lord..when will they learn that we are on top of them? lol....

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #38 of 42

WOO HOO! After two years of being in business and having a website, I got my very first scam e-mails!

The first was the same one all of you have been getting - the only thing noteworthy about it was that it came from "Charlie Lucky Luciano" - a mobster who's been dead for about 50 years.

The second one concerns me. I suspected scam when I first saw it, but wasn't sure. I thought it could be genuine and perhaps a military person coming home to get married. I replied, only to tell him I couldn't take the order - and I got an immediate response that my inbox alerted me was a phishing e-mail.

I will copy/paste the e-mail so you can see they are not fraught with spelling/typographical errors, nor was there any mention of "Happy Marriage Life"

=================================================================
Request for Information sent via GatheringGuide.com
=================================================================

RE: *MY BUSINESS NAME* (I deleted it)

Jason Jones
[email protected]
Phone: 011491601012936

ADDRESS:
CMR 467 Box 6228
APO, AE, NY, 9096

EVENT DATE: 12/20/2008

REQUEST MESSAGE:
We live in Germany and are planning to have our wedding in the XXXXX (I deleted my city) area on 20 Dec. and are looking for wedding cake designs. My question to you is can you do airbrushing on a cake and if you can, can you do it from a picture or a sketch,

Thank you,

Jason Jones

I could not copy/paste the second e-mail because I would have had to unblock it - which I wasn't willing to do. I could read the text, but there were also three attachments.

Now, maybe I'm wrong... but getting back a response ... a LONG response with all the details they wanted on their cake (harley davidson design, etc.) with attachments that were flagged as phishing, only MOMENTS after I sent him my reply seems very suspicious. And he seemed to ignore the fact that I said I couldn't take the order - which indicates it was a bot.

Be careful.

LSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #39 of 42

polekitten, you were right not open any attachments. My son is a computer programmer and told me if anything gets sent that sounds suspicious to delete it and above all do not open any attachments. They could be potential viruses that will be released if I open them up.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #40 of 42

I checked the statistics on my website just now, to find out where the scammers got my info - and this is what I found:

[<<] [>>]
Domain Name     (Unknown)
IP Address     41.219.214.# (Starcomms Nigeria (v4 allocation))
ISP     Starcomms Nigeria (v4 allocation)
Country   :   Nigeria (Facts)
Lat/Long   :   10, 8 (Map)
Language     English (U.K.)
en-gb
Operating System     Microsoft WinXP
Browser     Firefox
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1
Javascript     version 1.5
Monitor     
Resolution   :   1280 x 800
Color Depth   :   32 bits
Time of Visit     Sep 11 2008 8:59:33 pm
Last Page View     Sep 11 2008 9:02:48 pm
Visit Length     3 minutes 15 seconds
Page Views     2
Referring URL    http://www.google.co...21&btnG=Search&meta=
Search Engine    google.com.ng
Search Words    *MY BUSINESS NAME*
Visit Entry Page     http://*MY BUSINESS NAME*.com/
Visit Exit Page     http://*MY BUSINESS NAME*.c...ex.php/site/contact/
Out Click     
Time Zone     UTC+0:00
Visitor's Time     Sep 12 2008 3:59:33 am
Visit Number     481

So they got my business name from somewhere (no clue where yet) and googled me and found my website and contact information. I deliberately made up several e-mail addresses so I know where people are contacting me from - and the one they used is only on my website and printed on my business cards.

But, they are definitely from Nigeria. And it was almost 4:00 a.m. their time when they hit my site. Weird.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #41 of 42

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Im so sad! You mean my friend from Cameron whom i met on Craigslist and who promised to mail me an English Bulldog Puppy, isn't really my friend?? He said he was from here though, he was just in Cameron right now working. I just don't understand... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ! Just kidding of course, but the new scam where they threaten to kill you unless you pay them, that's pretty scary!! BTW you guys crack me up icon_biggrin.gif

sugahjunior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugahjunior Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #42 of 42

You also should forward all emails like these to the Federal Trade Commission. The email address to send the emails to is [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%