White Icing Turned Yellow After 4 Days

Baking By cookiesbyms Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm by covered-in-sugar

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:58am
post #1 of 10

Hi
I'm just wondering if anyone has an answer as to why my icing turned a slight yellow color. I used the Antonia74 recipe and made baby bottles the yellow and pink parts of the bottle were perfect but after about 4 days the white began to turn yellow.
How can I stop this from happening.
Please Help
Maria

9 replies
francescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
francescakes Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:21am
post #2 of 10

Did it yellow on the cake or in the container? I've had yellowing in the container and when I re-whipped it it totally lightened back to white!

SweetVictoria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetVictoria Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 10

I wish I had the answer for you. That same thing happened to me and I never did figure out why. I made a fresh batch and it held its white color. I thought maybe my shortening was too old or it was the heat or the creamer?? When I did make the fresh batch I used a new can of shortening and different brand of creamer. Sorry I couldn't help you more. Just thought you might like to know that it has happened to someone else.

cookiesbyms Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 10

francescake: It turned yellow on the cookie after about 4 days.
Sweetvictoria: Maybe it was the heat, were I live the hot weather has really started. It wouldn't be the shortening or the creamer as we don't have these products in Australia.
Thank you both for the replies

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 10

I fiound that my white cookies turned yellowy/grayish one time and I realized that it was because I had dried them under a light for fear that they wouldn't set in time. With my next batch of white cookies, I put them under a fan instead and it really helped.

Either way, I found that I will only do white in a cookie if I use Americolor white coloring. Before that, the white in my cookies just didn't pop. Hope that helps.

Landa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Landa Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 10

I have that issue as well but I notice when I use the Americolor white like Tracy that it doesnt happen as much.

cookiesbyms Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:18am
post #7 of 10

Thanks I will try the white Americolour. icon_smile.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 10

You know, I always thought yellow-ish cookies iced in white were caused by the grease of the cookie, kinda seeping thru. I'm just guessing, because not all my white cookies turn yellos and not the whole cookie.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 10

Hmmm... interesting thought!

covered-in-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
covered-in-sugar Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 10

I made TX longhorn themed cookies, they were iced with white royal icing and had orange royal accents to them. I used clear vanilla and almond extract and let them dry overnight in the oven. I then packaged them and the day after they were packeged, I noticed my white started to turn to a brownish color, like if I used regular vanilla...?? I still am not sure why the white changed color?
I was pretty dissapointed that the white wasn't WHITE!!

I guess, I am going to have to try the Americolor white, like others suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%