How Did I Forget About The Cake!!!

Decorating By natou Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 1:23am by buglady77

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 17

icon_surprised.gif ok,here"s my cake disaster story: I decorated a winnie the pooh cake for a neighbor's daughter, finished it and since the lady was going to pick it up just later that afternoon, I put the decorated cake in the oven, safe place(supposedly), because the kids kept on coming in and out of the house ,it summer time and flies could sneak in the house and land on the cake!(I hate flies). A bit later,I get hungry for chicken pot pie, they taste better warmed up in the oven, so I turned the oven on and a few minutes later...sniff what's that sweet smell?? OMG ! The cake I had put in the oven!!!Panic! I opened the oven door ( door doesn't have a window) the icing is all melted of course !!no more design on the cake! hopefully, the lady just laugh at my story and had a free cake(the cake itself was still good). Now, You can be sure I put notes on the knob of the oven when I leave a cake in there.

16 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 17

OMG!! I stopped putting stuff in the oven the day I turned it on to preheat it for something and realized I forgot to take the package of sliced bread out that I stored in there. What a mess, melted plastic on the heating coil!!!

I hope your lady understood thumbs_up.gif

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 17

Whoops!

I'm glad that she understood and you had a laugh about it. I bet it was a mess to clean up though. Notes on the oven sound like a good idea icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 17

Oh noooo. I would have been kicking myself all over the place! Sorry that happened!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:17am
post #5 of 17

Ooh, that would have been horrible and funny at the same time! I have never stored anything in my oven except for baking pans that I had just used. I KNOW I would do something silly! icon_lol.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 17

I've never been one to store anything in my oven for that very reason. I'm so forgetful I would have to tape the oven shut and then tape a large note on the oven door saying "DO NOT USE OVEN" and then remove the knobs.

Sorry about your cake!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 17

Luby, don't forget to unplug it while you are at it. icon_wink.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

Luby, don't forget to unplug it while you are at it. icon_wink.gif

Good idea thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #9 of 17

Recently I put some fondant pieces in my oven with the light on the firm up. I was so petrified that I was going to accidentally turn it on that I kept going and checking on them over and over again. This is after reading all the horror stories.

Well I just had an idea. In our house when the dishwasher is set to run at night after we go to bed we stick a magnet on it to remind us it is clean in the morning. How about doing this on the oven knob. Just take one of those magnets off the side of the refrigerator and slap it over the knob and voila! Instant reminder!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #10 of 17

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe you rebaked your cake : ) All the hard work that goes into a cake. Thank goodness the lady was understanding! I have done that with fondant and chocolate once. I made a tray of fondant flowers and some pieces out of chocolate on another tray. I put them in the oven to free up counter space during the day and ruined them all at dinner. I never put another thing in the oven again !!!

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:30am
post #11 of 17

well that s a great idea! Iwill go get some magnets soon. Ya, I really like the ides. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #12 of 17

I had RI flowers in the oven once for "safe keeping" and went and turned the oven on later to start supper....I now use a post it with DO NOT TURN OVEN ON!! stuck to the on button!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:37am
post #13 of 17

Oh man!! Been there, done that!!! I have to tape a huge note to the front of the oven that states there is something in there!

Here's my story: I had made sugar cookies for my kids' classrooms...in the morning I was rushing around, putting the cookies in the little plastic cookie bags - I was in such a rush, when I was done I threw everything in the oven, extra cookies, PLASTIC baggies, and even the cooling racks they were on! Well, that night was "trick-or-treat" night & I totally forgot about everything. The next day I had a birthday cake order, so I preheated the oven - O...M...G...all of a sudden "what is that smell?" Thank goodness dh was home 'cause I opened the oven & there was a small fire!!! icon_cry.gificon_redface.gifthumbsdown.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #14 of 17

You know those clean/dirty magnets they make for dishwashers? Maybe you could get one of them and paint over it, with use/don't use messages on it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #15 of 17

We're in the process of trying to sell our house, and when we show it I decided we'd store the dog dishes in the oven while we were out. My DH forgot the dog dishes were in there and preheated it for a pizza or something and we didn't realize until the house stunk and there was melted plastic and the water in the glass part was boiling!

It was terrible and funny at the same time. Like the day he tried to "dry" my pampered chef stoneware by putting it on the hot stove, or the time I set the crockpot on fire...

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:05am
post #16 of 17

This is why I buy cake boxes. Once the cakes have cooled, I store them in boxes until they are decorated. When they are decorated and ready to be delivered, the go into bakery boxes. No worries about kids . . . or flies . . . or dogs . . . or storing them in the oven. My son is old enough to cook for himself and wouldn't dream of checking the oven before turning it on.

buglady77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buglady77 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:23am
post #17 of 17

I like to bake sourdough bread and the best perfect-temp place for the starter is in the oven with the light on (heating element off) To make sure that neither I or my husband turn the oven on with that in there, I just pull the knob clear off the oven so it can't be turned on and put the knob inside the oven with the starter. If there's no knob, the oven's off-limits! If the knob is in place, go ahead and bake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%