Dark Choclate Ganache Looks Like Milk Chocolate Ganache,help

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm by bobhope

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 33

i did a milk chocolate cake then filled and covered with dark chocolate ganache... but when added the cream, its not dark anymore icon_eek.gif

does anyone have an explanation on this... was not able to get a pic of that cake, it was a gift for my DH officemate...

32 replies
maimai16 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 33

anyone? please icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 33

Well... yes the white cream will make it lighter. Compare it to milk chocolate ganache and you will see the difference again. I guess the only other option would be to make it with water.

maimai16 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 33

so how i need to lessen the cream? i thought the water will ruin the ganache?

how did others make dark colored ganache? did they just use corn syrup/glocuse or even butter? i'm so desperate... please help!

KoryAK Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:51am
post #5 of 33

What is your recipe? Lessening the cream will effect the consistency of the ganache. You cannot add a small amount of any liquid to melted chocolate or it will seize. Add a lot of any liquid and you will have ganache. Water+ choc, booze+choc, or butter+choc will give you very dark results but you cannot sub them out one for one, you need to adjust the recipe.

maimai16 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

What is your recipe? Lessening the cream will effect the consistency of the ganache. You cannot add a small amount of any liquid to melted chocolate or it will seize. Add a lot of any liquid and you will have ganache. Water+ choc, booze+choc, or butter+choc will give you very dark results but you cannot sub them out one for one, you need to adjust the recipe.

1:1 cream and dark chocolate. so what adjustment do i need to have a darker ganache...[/quote]

KoryAK Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 4:42am
post #7 of 33

Thats the recipe I use too. Its plenty dark enough for me. For a water based, I'd start maybe 2 parts chocolate to 1 part water. Let it sit overnight then see how the consistency is. You may need to adjust it.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:02am
post #8 of 33

I do a 1:1 cream and chocolate and it's plenty dark for me too.

What are your exact measurements and what are you using to measure?

I use 8 oz (by weight) of dark chocolate to 1 cup of heavy cream.

maimai16 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 5:25am
post #9 of 33

pretty the same with your measurements jeanne... maybe i'm using a low cocoa % chocolate... it pretty cheap on craft store where i bought it and they say it is imported though its pre-packed so i cant really tell... do you think i need to change the chocolate i am using? what brands are giving you dark chocolate color even after adding the cream? is tablea chocolate can be used for ganache also?

what do you mean by water based ganache KoryAK? you use boiled plain water with your ganache? sorry for my ignorance, all i know about ganache it is made of chocolate and cream then you add butter or corn syrup/glucose to have shiny ganache...

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:22am
post #10 of 33

this might be a stupid question but are you using dark chocolate? i use a local brand of dark chocolate and it's quite dark, almost black when i use it for ganache.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 7:33am
post #11 of 33

I do wonder, when you say you got the choc from the craft store, is it real chocolate or is it candy melts? It's not so much the brand as the % of cocoa solids in your chocolate. I use anywhere from 65-70% dark chocolate for my ganache and it's definitely dark, if you want to peek in my gallery there is a cake w/two snowmen which is iced in whipped chocolate ganache--even the whipping didn't lighten it too much. Also the one w/the diaper caddy basket is whipped ganache too.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:16am
post #12 of 33

all this talk of ganache... not helping with my diet at all.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 33

Mine either ccshoppe.. icon_wink.gif

I use 60% or more.. usually Callebaut or Ghirardelli. If you got it at the craft store I wonder if it's real chocolate too. When making ganache you don't want to skimp on the chocolate. If you wouldn't eat a piece of it.. don't use it in your ganache. icon_smile.gif

That's my philosophy (and why my waistline is growing) icon_lol.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Well... yes the white cream will make it lighter. Compare it to milk chocolate ganache and you will see the difference again. I guess the only other option would be to make it with water.

I don't think it would be a ganache if it's made with water.

maimai16 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #15 of 33

nice cakes ceshell thumbs_up.gif

i don't think its candy melts bec i bought a 500g block of it. lesson learned: don't use cheap choc for ganache. thumbs_up.gif

thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif i am really happy to have helpful CCers around usaribbon.gif

KoryAK Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #16 of 33

Hey, I didn't say water based ganache would be tasty... just that it would be dark and still technically ganache icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 33

LOL but IS it still technically ganache? The only definitions I can find consider ganache a combination of chocolate and another fat, usually (or by some definitions: always) cream. The water version sounds like it should just be called "chocolate sauce." (All this said with tongue in cheek, since I don't know the correct answer!)

KoryAK Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #18 of 33

My Drunken Turtle brownie topping is a ganache made with about 80% rum and MAYBE 20% cream. Nice and strong, but very little fat added. I also don't know what would TECHNICALLY disqualify something from being a ganache... but if it walks like a ganache and talks like a ganache.... icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:18pm
post #19 of 33

It sounds more like it stumbles and mumbles like a ganache. *hic*

ROTFL! icon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:10am
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimai16

nice cakes ceshell thumbs_up.gif

i don't think its candy melts bec i bought a 500g block of it. lesson learned: don't use cheap choc for ganache. thumbs_up.gif

thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif i am really happy to have helpful CCers around usaribbon.gif

How much did you pay for it? i have a suspicion we're getting the same chocolate from the same distributor. icon_biggrin.gif

maimai16 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm
post #21 of 33

@cupcakeshoppe
around Php 75.00 and i got it from sweetcraft here in mandaluyong, phils

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #22 of 33

If you want it darker add a tiny bit of black gel color....I've done it once and it made it nice and dark but didn't change any of the consistancy....you can also do colored white choc. ganache which is really pretty in pastel colors icon_smile.gif

maimai16 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:06pm
post #23 of 33

@amoos
i've been thinking about it... is gel colors oil based?

i'm also considering adding black cocoa to it, the alkalized one...what do you think guys? has anyone tried this before?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

It sounds more like it stumbles and mumbles like a ganache. *hic*

ROTFL! icon_lol.gif

Yup, I'm gonna git me some of that GOOD ganache!!!! YUMM-O!!!!

By the By, I really like to use the Wilton fondue chocolate for ganache. It is light in color, but it reacts VERY well, and my son loves the chocolate disks (19 months and knows GOOD food!!!) But only the fondue chocolate... NOT the candy melts!!!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:22pm
post #25 of 33

If you add black coloring you have to use oil based coloring. Not gel. It will freeze up.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #26 of 33

Ok, well I don't know all the science etc. but I always add the wilton gel colors and haven't ever had a problem or had it freeze or seize or whatever anyone wants to call it. Then again, I'm only just adding like a pin prick worth of color, not like a whole TBS or something.....but that's just me and I'm sure the "PROS" out there will say what I'm doing is wrong icon_smile.gif but if it works (for me) why mess with it

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:05pm
post #27 of 33

amoos that's awesome! I SO wanna try it.

maimai, yup, we're using the same one. that might be the semi-sweet one you're using which for me is not dark chocolate. I use the bittersweet one. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #28 of 33

You can use any type of coloring in ganache. There is already a lot of liquid in it so it will not seize. You only need to use oil colors when you are coloring just chocolate.

maimai16 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #29 of 33

@KoryAK
that makes sense... i'm confuse on when to add the colors... thanks for another info icon_biggrin.gif

@cupcakeshoppe
thats odd... the label says dark chocolate... icon_confused.gif so the bitter-sweet is much darker compared to semi-sweet?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #30 of 33

maimai, for me it is. so i've always used the bitter sweet one to make dark chocolate ganache or whenever the recipe calls for dark chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%