Marketing Help

Business By rkljazz Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 3:30am by CreativeGirl220

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:15am
post #1 of 3

I am a stay at home mom / cake decorator on the side. I've been doing about two cakes a month but I'd really like to increase that. How do I make it publicly known that I am for hire without working at a commercial bakery? I would love to get my name in good standing with a caterer, but I've only ever done one wedding cake. Can I just call caterers and show them my portfolio?

2 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #2 of 3

You want to work for a caterer?

I found a job with an upscale caterer and worked for a year before having my last baby....I just found the job on Craigslist and used my portfolio to get the job. Just have a nice portfolio and resume and look around on Craigslist and stuff for cake decorator jobs that are not regular bakery jobs.

As for baking from home, word of mouth and some sort of online portfolio will help the best, and some Craigslist advertising here and there depending on your state laws for home baking.

CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:30am
post #3 of 3

Get business cards and see if you can put it in a party store. Its worked for me. I've been told do free cakes sometimes and give it to say an office or the bank just some where where lots of ppl in one location will notice. I personally don't like that idea b/c it hasn't worked 4 me that way b/c some ppl are just about free free and may never use your services. But it is a good way to do a cake you've never done before and give it to ppl and see their reactions and possibly get orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%