Cookie Glaze?

Baking By lardbutt Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 2:13am by nrctermite

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, I am wanting to put an icing on a cookie that looks kinda like a glaze. Have any of you ever done that? If so,how do you prepare the glaze?

TIA, MessyBaker

10 replies
mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 11

here is a recipe i got from cooksillustrated i personally haven't tried it but i have tried plenty of recipes from there website and haven't gone wrong once! (they test all there recipes several times to determine which recipe gets the best results)

glaze

1 tablespoon cream cheese , at room temperature
3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (6 ounces)

5. FOR THE GLAZE: Whisk cream cheese and 2 tablespoons milk in medium bowl until combined and no lumps remain. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until smooth, adding remaining milk as needed until glaze is thin enough to spread easily. Drizzle or spread scant teaspoon glaze with back of spoon onto each cooled cookie, as desired.

lardbutt Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you so much!

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 11

glad i could help icon_smile.gif

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 11

Don't know if you're still looking, but I tried this one a few weeks ago and I LOVED it. I used quite a bit of lemon extract though, but you can use any you like. Hmmm...now I think I'm gonna have to make more now.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-2119-5.html

lardbutt Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrctermite

Don't know if you're still looking, but I tried this one a few weeks ago and I LOVED it. I used quite a bit of lemon extract though, but you can use any you like. Hmmm...now I think I'm gonna have to make more now.

This sounds really good too!

How exactly do you glaze them? icon_redface.gif I'm assuming you would put a cookie sheet under a rack and pour it over them? Is that correct? Or is there a better way?

Sorry so many questions!

Thanks, MessyBaker

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #7 of 11

A couple of years ago Michaels carried a line of cookie cutters that came with stamps and glaze that you made from a powder and small foam stamps to decorate. They were called Cookie Bakers. The powder could be used as a glaze or for piping depending on how much water you put in. Anyway the way they showed to get the glaze on was to hold the cookie face down and put it in the glaze and bring it straight up and let the excess drip off for 3 to 5 seconds and then turn it over quickly. I bought a lot of the stuff, haven't used it yet icon_redface.gif Does any one know how that is? icon_lol.gif
Any way I thought the technique could help you. I like the cutters, they are cute I would really like to have them all, but Michaels stopped selling them I looked on ebay but no one has them. If any one here has used them let me know how they are. Thanks

Jibbies

nrctermite Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:

This sounds really good too!

How exactly do you glaze them? icon_redface.gif I'm assuming you would put a cookie sheet under a rack and pour it over them? Is that correct? Or is there a better way?

Sorry so many questions!

Thanks, MessyBaker

Sorry, I'm late getting back to this icon_redface.gif What I did was I made both royal icing and the glaze. I made the RI stiffer than the glaze and outlined with the RI and filled in with the glaze. It is a bit of a PIA to do both, but I wanted a distinct outline. I *think* you can outline with a stiffer glaze and when you fill in it will blend in with the outline. Hope that makes sense. icon_confused.gif

lardbutt Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:30am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

A couple of years ago Michaels carried a line of cookie cutters that came with stamps and glaze that you made from a powder and small foam stamps to decorate. They were called Cookie Bakers. The powder could be used as a glaze or for piping depending on how much water you put in. Anyway the way they showed to get the glaze on was to hold the cookie face down and put it in the glaze and bring it straight up and let the excess drip off for 3 to 5 seconds and then turn it over quickly. I bought a lot of the stuff, haven't used it yet icon_redface.gif Does any one know how that is? icon_lol.gif
Any way I thought the technique could help you. I like the cutters, they are cute I would really like to have them all, but Michaels stopped selling them I looked on ebay but no one has them. If any one here has used them let me know how they are. Thanks

Jibbies

Grrrr! I didn't get a message that there was a new post! Sorry! That sounds like a pretty easy way to do it. Thanks Jibbies!

lardbutt Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #10 of 11
Quote:

Sorry, I'm late getting back to this icon_redface.gif What I did was I made both royal icing and the glaze. I made the RI stiffer than the glaze and outlined with the RI and filled in with the glaze. It is a bit of a PIA to do both, but I wanted a distinct outline. I *think* you can outline with a stiffer glaze and when you fill in it will blend in with the outline. Hope that makes sense. icon_confused.gif

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of this already! Duh!

I just realized you are in SC. I live in Anderson, SC. We are about 2 hours from each other.

Sherri

nrctermite Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #11 of 11

Well, hi there neighbor! I did notice you were in SC too, but didn't realize we were soo close! Let me know how you like those cookies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%