How Do You Store Fondant Accent Pieces?

Decorating By FlourPots Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm by howsweet

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 9

The party was postponed a day, so I'm wondering how I can safely store fondant balls (for a ball border), stars, balloon shapes, and letters.

This is my first time using fondant and I'm worried about sticking and the shapes or balls becoming distorted when I try to unstick.

8 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 9

How long ago did you make them? If mine are dry, I gently store them on paper towels or wax paper with paper towels underneath, single layer only, especially if they are heavy. I usually leave them in a ventilated box. If they are light pieces, I stack them with layers in between.

sweetdesignsbyla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdesignsbyla Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 9

Hi FlourPot icon_smile.gif

I usually store my fondant accent pieces in small bakery boxes, similar to cake boxes, then place the entire box inside a large ziploc bag.

They hold up well, I've never had a problem with them sticking. I can tell you from experience though that after birder fondant balls dry. You must use real strong glue to get them to stick to the cake. (Royal Icing) always works good as a strong adhesive.

FlourPots Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 9

I made them really early this morning and just have them on a plate...I'll carefully move them to paper towels in a box.

Thanks for the royal icing tip...I had no idea border balls wouldn't stick if I used just water.

Thank you both so much.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 9

We store ours in plastic pencil boxes with snap lids. They seem to work fine. I guess it depends on whether you are wanting the accents to dry and be hard or stay flexible. Sometimes we make things a few days in advance and leave them under a fan so they'll dry properly.

I'd definitely put them on wax paper!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 9

I use new, clean pizza boxes to store my dried fondant/gumpaste decorations. For flowers I use the plastic storage boxes and place a styrofoam pad in it so that I can insert my flowers on stems in it and place the cover on it.

FlourPots Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 9

Such great ideas...thanks very much.

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 9

I use shoe boxes, with a 3,2 and 1year old we always have those laying around!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I made them really early this morning and just have them on a plate...I'll carefully move them to paper towels in a box.

Thanks for the royal icing tip...I had no idea border balls wouldn't stick if I used just water.

Thank you both so much.

I use water. Or 1/4 t tylose in 2 t water ( let sit overnight) -

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%