To All You Foreigners In California....

Lounge By mocakes Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 11:18am by veejaytx

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 10

We sat down last night to watch a movie and my son was messing with the settings on the remote and he accidentally hit the button to change the language to French... icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

we all had a good laugh as it sounded odd to our kids. Then my 5 year old daughter blurts out.....

"Now make it say it in Californian!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Sorry...we hadn't realized that all of you in California speak a different language than we do here in Missouri!

9 replies
Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 10

Oh that is so funny!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 10

Hah! That's great! Although I have noticed some Missourians (and I can say this 'cause I was born there) have a few foreign words of their own, such as "warsh" for "wash" and "crick" for "creek." icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 10

Hawkette, It's not just people from Missouri, my sister in law born and raised in MI say's warsh all the time, in fact even her young kids think that is the right way to say wash, and she says towlette for toilet!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

... and she says towlette for toilet!

Oh those poor things! Everyone knows it's pronounced TOR-let!! icon_lol.gif

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 10

Well, I don't know about y'all, but I'm fixin' to bust a gut laughing at this one! (Yes, in Texas, fixin' to means about to) I love all of our little local dialects - my old boss was from New York and she had a really difficult time when instructing someone to "look in the drah!" took several minutes to figure out that's NY for drawer!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #7 of 10

When we first moved to Texas, my little sister was about 7 years old. She came home from school (we went to a Christian school) talking about how we should wash the Lord. We couldn't figure out what on earth she was talking about until we realized she'd always heard "warsh" for "wash" and when she heard the word "worship" her little brain translated it as "wash up."

LOL

Deanna

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #8 of 10

Too funny! My mom came down from Indiana (to Missouri) and we were talking about my son wrestling and she says Rasslin. I'm like WHAT??? Also have to add Root for Route.

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #9 of 10

Have you noticed down south in Missouri that they like to add "y" at the end of words? The town of Orla was always pronounced "Or-lee." It gets a bit confusing when kids are learning to spell. icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #10 of 10

My favorite is when my 82 year old stepfather tells me he's fixin' to carry my mother to the doctor or somewhere. He also would give me directions around their town to look for where "so and so"s" used to be!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%