How Long Does Mmf Keep And Where To Store?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 11:43am by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 8

I have a ton of MMF and am not sure how long this stuff keeps tightly wrapped. I also don't know if it is best to store in the fridge or in an air tight container at room temperature. Does anyone know?

7 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 8

MMF can be stored for up to 2 months in an airtight container. Do not refrigerate or freeze.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 8

I've used it 3 and 4 months later! It was great as long as you wrap it well. If you have a "Foodsaver" machine, that's even better!
All I do is nuke it for a few seconds and grease up my hands with crisco and knead it a few minutes.....than it's good to go. If I'm using a lot on an entire cake, then I always use fresh MMF.

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 8

I do have the foodsaver. I was wondering if that work well for MMF. Right now I have it wrapped in about 5 or 6 layers of saran wrap and then double bagged in zip locks. Also, thanks for the tip on nukeing it for a few seconds. I wondered if I could do. My hands and arm were getting tired of kneading it and rolling it to soften it up.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #5 of 8

At the risk of sounding like an amateur (i think thats how u spell it) what does "nuke" mean??

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:51am
post #6 of 8

putting it in the microwave. "Nuke it" and "Zap it" all means putting it in the microwave for to heat up, cook, etc.

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:16am
post #7 of 8

hey Trixyinaz, I read your post on mmf and how your arms are tired from kneading and rolling the mmf to soften. Here is a suggestion that is alot easier to soften the mmf. Try pulling it, like pulling taffy. Works just as good as kneading and you can sit down to do it. Hope this helps the tired hands and arms. icon_biggrin.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #8 of 8

Thanks Melissa. I will try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%