How Long Do Cupcakes Stay Fresh?

Baking By JessDesserts Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm by CakeWhizz

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #1 of 6

I do not bake for profit. I might like to one day. Recently, people have been telling me on a very regular basis that I am in the wrong business. Getting paid for doing something I love?!?!?! Thats not a concept I am familiar with at this time. Anyway..... with that said....
Can I freeze cupcakes? If so, for how long? Does the frosting freeze as well? If not, how long is it good in the fridge?
If anyone can help me, please do. I have been bit by the baking/decorating bug/fairy/muse lately and I want to be able to bake on the weekends and share them with my co-workers and friends on Monday, but, id like it to be as fresh as possible.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jessika

5 replies
Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

Jessica,

I know you can freeze them if you wrap them securely. Like put in ziplock bag and then put cling wrap around them. I'm not sure how long you could freeze them for but probably the same as a cake. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #3 of 6

I freeze cupcakes all the time. I simply place them in a old muffin tin or on a sturdy piece of cardboard, cover with wax paper and slide into a 2 gallon ziploc. I've had cupcakes in my freezer like this for as long as 3 months and they were great! Good luck!

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 6

I know some ladies in our cupcake thread freeze theirs all the time. Wrap each in plastic wrap tightly, and you can put a bunch of those into a gallon ziplock. As long as they are secured and air tight, they should last you a while!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #5 of 6

thank you for responding.
So I understnad I can bake them ahead and freeze them ( im assuming naked) ....then do I let them thaw and then frost them?
icon_smile.gif and they're really still fresh? oh my goodness does that make my life a lot easier ! ! ! !!!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 6

The answer to your question is yes you can freeze cupcakes as long as they are well wrapped (thanks vww104 for the tip!). With regards to defrosting, it takes less than half an hour for them to defrost depending on cake flavour and according to my clients they taste very fresh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%