Cake Mixes On The Rise

Decorating By psurrette Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 4:09am by johnson6ofus

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 23

I was at walmart yesterday and the prices have increased to 1.18 for cake mixes. I judst got back from my local store because I needed 2 more mixes and they are up to 2.19 there. How is it everywhere else in the US

22 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 23

Here in Miami, FL it went from $.88 cents to $.98...that was just a few weeks ago, I haven't checked lately. But at Target their $.97 but they don't have much of a variety.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 23

I just picked some up the other day for $1 each (BC) but there are definitely some others that are higher.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 23

I just went to the store today and I noticed that they went up from $1.25 to $1.35 which isn't that big of a difference, but I was at another store yesterday and they had gone up to $1.99 a box. Ugh!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 23

BC went from $0.93 to $0.98 a couple of months ago. DH was $0.88 and went to $0.95 or $0.96 (I dont' buy DH much). These are the walmart prices.

The bad news for me......! I use the Great Value brand (walmart brand) choc cake mix to make my chocolate cookie base. It's no longer carried!! I went in to order by usual 8 cases and they guy told me they won't be carrying it anymore! I about cried!! He said, "When i saw it on the list, I knew you'd be real upset about it!" The name brand choc cake mixes just don't work the same! So here I go to the drawing board to try to find something that will work for me. That cake mix made my choc cookies my most profitable, too!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 23

indydebi: I don't know if you have an Aldi's in your area, but they have inexpensive cake mixes.

I don't use them for cakes, but cake mixes do make pretty neat chocolate cookies!

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit-four

indydebi: I don't know if you have an Aldi's in your area, but they have inexpensive cake mixes.

I don't use them for cakes, but cake mixes do make pretty neat chocolate cookies!

There's one about 12 minutes from my house....I'll check it out!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #8 of 23

I buy mine at Publix when they are buy one get one free,they equal to about 68 cents a piece.So I stock up.Its about evry month give or take.But yes Walmart has raised there prices,even powdered sugar raised about 6 cents last month.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #9 of 23

Our WalMart carries the DH brand for about $1.08 a box. I dont by much else, so I dont know if those have gone up or not. I DO KNOW that our WalMart used to carry a cherry baking chip that was yummy, but all of a sudden they dont stock them anylonger. Some stupid excuse of "its a holiday item" icon_confused.gif I dont think of cherry really as Holiday, but oh well. I found them online, so I'll just order that way.

Dawncurby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawncurby Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #10 of 23

Where I live I buy mine at Wal-mart ( I use Pillsbury ) and it is $.88 a box there.

Dee

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #11 of 23

Paula-
Im in RI and I think its the same about 2.19. maybe a bit higher. i usually stock up when shaws or stop and shop have them 10 for 10. DH always asks why do i need more if i all ready have 20 down stairs. icon_biggrin.gif
I tell him im saving him money!! LOL

~Shannon

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

Some stupid excuse of "its a holiday item"

Oh don't you just hate that!! I went into walmart in the fall season looking for a cooler and they told me, "Summer's over ... we dont' stock those anymore!" I said, "People don't use them just in the summer. As a caterer, I use them every week!" (When I do drop off caterings, I provide a cooler full of ice for their drinks.) Thank goodness the gals at the Dollar General store next door to me keep them stocked all year for me!!

It really ticks me off when other people decide what *I* need and when I need it! icon_mad.gif

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #13 of 23

AHHHH... I DOO hate it. I live on the Coast of Oregon. You know, rain 9 months of the year, wind the other 3...

Think we can find a rain suit for kids out here, for the fall/winter season??? HECK NO! Know when you find them? July. Stupid...

Ok, sorry about the OT vent...lol. Back tou your regularly scheduled programming...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #14 of 23

The Wal-Mart prices here are the same as IndyDebi.

But I went to a market near me last week, to pick up a few things they had on sale. I took a stroll through the baking aisle to check the price.

$2.19 for a box of BC, and $2.09 for DH. They didn't even have Pillsbury on the shelf.

My family loves the cake mix cookies now, so I'll have to check out Aldi brand. Thanks for the tip.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:17am
post #15 of 23

I could use a fix- anyone willing to share their chocolate cookie from a cake mix recipe????

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #16 of 23

here in jersey the acme sells the mixes for 2.20 (I almost had a heart attack). Shoprite is about the same. I do what most here do- buy at Walmart or buy them at Acme when they are 10 for $10- although that hasn't happened in a while. icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #17 of 23
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #18 of 23

The last time I checked, BC was 88 cents and DH was 94 cents at Wal_mart.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I went into walmart in the fall season looking for a cooler and they told me, "Summer's over ... we dont' stock those anymore!"

Academy and every other outdoor store carries coolers year-round.

At my Wal-Mart, coolers are also carried year-round. Maybe because in Texas, we are pretty much in summertime 350 days a year. We get about 2 weeks of winter. LOL

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:39am
post #19 of 23

Our Walmart has mixes for $1.08. I just about croaked when I had to run to Safeway and buy an emergency replacement mix and the same exact mix was $2.29 !!!! icon_eek.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #20 of 23

The last time I looked at Walmart (40 miles away) cake mixes were a little under $1. Our local grocery stores all charge between $1.85-2.30 for a box of cake mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

AHHHH... I DOO hate it. I live on the Coast of Oregon. You know, rain 9 months of the year, wind the other 3...

Think we can find a rain suit for kids out here, for the fall/winter season??? HECK NO! Know when you find them? July. Stupid...

Ok, sorry about the OT vent...lol. Back tou your regularly scheduled programming...

I had the worst time with jackets this spring. I live on the northern edge of North Dakota, you NEED a good jacket in the spring. Windbreakers just don't do the job and raincoats aren't what you could call warm either. My 5 year old had a huge growth spurt, about 2 inches just in one month, over the winter so the jacket he had from fall didn't fit. I couldn't find one ANYWHERE, my MIL was looking for me too.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

I could use a fix- anyone willing to share their chocolate cookie from a cake mix recipe????

All I do is use one cake mix, 2 eggs and the amount of oil for the cake mix recipe. The devils food cake mix cookies taste just like brownies. I made a batch and mailed them, wrapped really really well, to my nephew in Iraq and not one broke!

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:02am
post #22 of 23

I just got home from Meijer, where I usually buy my mixes, and DH and BC were $1.59. Pillsbury was $1.35. Store brand - and this is what kills me - was $1.19.

Up until about 2 months ago, DH and BC were always $.99, and yellow store brand mixes were always $.79.

In the grand scheme of things that's not huge, but when you factor in that shortening has gone up by $1.00, and powdered sugar has gone up by $.70 - it really starts adding up.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #23 of 23

ty parable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%