2Nd Wedding Cake

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm by Meemawfish

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 5

I made my 2nd wedding cake and although I am pleased with the outcome I had some problems...
I was going to cover it with MMF and it wouldn't get the consistency. I did not let it stand for 24 hrs, would that be the problem? I used Ronda's recipe and I thought a couple of hours would work but it didn't. So at midnight I started to make some more buttercream!!
The ribbon wasn't all smooth around the cake, any how to tips? I covered it with crisco so it would be all the same color but I dodn't like it, too late icon_redface.gif used it anyway...
The flowers on the side were coming out all the time. I used Wilton's flower holders. The white ones that are huge and make a big hole on the cake thumbsdown.gif
I made a mistake with the damn for the filling and it wouldn't stay in the 2nd tier... so I froze it for a while and kept working, I hope it doesn't fall!
I will definitely ask for a premade topper next time, I am not a florist and it gave me a hard time.
Anyway... I'm done and they picked it up and transported it on the front seat of a car! icon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif I just hope that they still have a cake...
And here it is...
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1260088

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 5

......ribbon wasn't all smooth around the cake...
I don't know that they ever are unless you have your cake iced *perfectly* icon_smile.gif It looks fine to me.
.........made a mistake with the damn for the filling and it wouldn't stay in the 2nd tier... so I froze it for a while .....
Not a great ideaicon_sad.gif It probably didn't stay together but that's really hard to tell. Depends on what you used for the filling.
....... ask for a premade topper next time, I am not a florist and it gave me a hard time..........
I think it looks great!
..... they picked it up and transported it on the front seat of a car! .......

YIKES!!!!!!!! And you let them??? NO, no no -- I bet it didn't reach it's destination icon_sad.gif

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 5

I think you are being to hard on yourself the cake looks very,very,very nice cant tell a bit that you had a problem with it. Wish mine looked so nice
keep up the good work and don't be so hard on yourself

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 5

The floral topper looks great. I would have thought a florist did it.

Ribbon: I had the 'wouldn't lay flat' problem until I figured out that it was because the sides of my cakes were not perfectly straight up and down. Using a bench scraper to smooth the sides helps get it perfectly straight up and down because you have a perfect 90 degree angle to work with (place the short edge of the blade directly on the turntable, with the long edge of the blade against the cake....perfectly straight every time.

Florals on the side: I glue the florals to the side of the cake by cutting the stem as close to the head as possible and then putting a blop of icing on the cake, then adhering the flower to the blop of icing. No fall offs.

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 5

I left you a comment and I think it looks beautiful. I wish I could make a mess like that. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%