Calling All Aussies - Whats Your Best Bc Recipe?

Decorating By bakerchick Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 10:21am by nicolevoorhout

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:56am
post #1 of 32

Hi all

i am totally addicted to this site and am constantly looking through the fantastic recipes however since we can't get a lot of the ingredients here in Australia I was wondering if any Aussies out there might share their tried and tested BC recipes.

I've only got the AWW recipes but find it is awfully greasy, and it doesn't hold up well in the heat and humidity. There must be others that can be used.

What about MMF - Love it but can't get it to dry in humidity. Any suggestions?

Also wondering if anyone has tried the Viva method as I can't get paper towels without patterns?

Has anyone located a high density roller yet, can't get one to save my life!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sorry there are so many questions... icon_smile.gif

TFL
bakerchick

31 replies
nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 32

Try this recipe here
http://cakedec.forumotion.com/coverings-icings-f32/decorator-s-buttercream-icing-t96.htm

You can read varying comments and substitutions as used by other Aussies here
http://cakedec.forumotion.com/questions-discussions-f3/decorator-s-buttercream-icing-info-questions-t2135.htm?highlight=buttercream

I have tried it myself with copha (available in the supermarket) and solite (a similar shortening to crisco available at some cake decorating suppliers in Oz) with no discernable difference. It's a good one to because it holds up well in warmer weather, even thought there is butter I think the shortening and meringue powder help it out! ;D

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 32

This thread might help us poor deprived kiwis too, who can't get Chrisco! Can someone tell me if Kremelta can be substituted? Its a solid white vegetable shortening, made of hardened coconut oil.

nicolevoorhout Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 32

amber sounds like copha which is also a hardened coconut oil, I melt it to use it in the recipe I provided up above. It's one of those things you really have to try to see if you like it or not, some people refuse to use copha, but I really like the taste of the buttercream I use it's got a really mild flavour (that you can enhance) that doesn't overpower the cake. Add half to a cup of melted chocolate or white chocolate and you have a yummy chocolate buttercream, you can also do a half and half mix of buttercream and ganache.

The buttercream sets nicely but not rock hard as one might expect! I think the coconut oil and the meringue powder make it what the american's refer to as a crusting buttercream.

Also bakerchick - no we can't get the viva towels here without the patterns. There are a variety of other methods I know that have been suggested by some of my other aussie caking friends I just can't think of them off the top of my head, as buttercream isn't as big in Oz as it is in the states. But there are some work arounds.

Also in case you are wondering (a common question) meringue powder is pavlova magic available in the egg shape in Woolies or Coles! ;D

bakerchick Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #5 of 32

sorry it's taken a while for my reply. Thanks heaps for the info nicolevoorhout i will give those a go shortly.

I haven't tried copha - i keep thinking back to those chocolat crackle days and how good they taste and yet how bad they really are for you!!!!

and yes i found out a while ago that meringue powder is those pavlova magic eggs - haven;t used that yet either.

will try today. have to make a 1st year old birthday cake. see how it goes.

thanks heaps everyone thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

nicolevoorhout Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerchick

I haven't tried copha - i keep thinking back to those chocolat crackle days and how good they taste and yet how bad they really are for you!!!!

Unfortunately you will find that with any type of shortening! It's always the yummy things that are the badest for you! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Let us know how you go.

bakerchick Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 5:27am
post #7 of 32

i'm making a cake tonight so i'll post how it goes by morning!

Thanks again

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:38am
post #8 of 32

where have you managed to loacte all white marshmellows in order to make MMF????? icon_eek.gif i live on the gold coast and there are seriously NO cake supplies short of spotlight so i order all my stuff out of SA and VIC and still haven't seen all white marshy's?? i am curious!!

nicolevoorhout Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:52am
post #9 of 32

I hear Aldi do white marshmallows, sometimes in Sydney Go-lo/Bi-lo or the Reject shop have them. You can use the pink ones to make coloured fondant though, I have a friend who uses to make other colours pink, red etc, just throw them in and add some colour and off you go.

bakerchick Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:53am
post #10 of 32

you haven't looked at Woolies - in the lollie isle you can get Allens lollies or no name brand.

The no name brand comes in pink and white or just white. they are bigger bags too for about the same price as the smaller Allens bag. But Allens have 3 colours in the bag if you want, orange, pink and white i think.

If you use MMF often just buy the big no name brand bag and separate them into good clip lock containers. I've had my pink ones in there for months and still fine! ( don't get to use much Pink!)

My MMF turned out really good but had problems in the humidity. have you found that or do you have a secret weapon to conbat this eavil beast. i'm in Noosa!

Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 32

adatay, I had the same problem being unable to find all-white marshmallows.
After searching everywhere I finally found them here:
www.confectionerywarehouse.com.au
Best of all you can buy them in bulk icon_smile.gif

Has anyone tried making mmf using marshmallow made from scratch rather than melting bought ones? I've been wanting to try it but I'm a little afraid of just making an inedible mess lol.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 32

baker chick: no i have no secret weapon in fact i have never used MMF that is why i am so curiouse! i just use standard fondant. is MMF better? it looks shinier in pics. what is it like price wise in comparison to rolled fondant? I just use the woolies fondant at $3.50/500gm
I have searched woolies, coles, aldies, reject shop etc in my area all come in coloured mixewd packs and i just would never go through the other colours to warrant it.
i used to make my own fondant back in the beginning but now i don't know if i would have time to go back to making it again (especially at the moment with arounf 5 tiered cakes a week!!) but i am very interested none the less icon_biggrin.gif love to hear all your opinions on which is better and good and bad of both etc!!!

bakerchick Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 32

i made my first MMF cake - a jumbo jet copied from an online picture and it is really easy to make except it does need time to dry. I had it in front of the air con for a few hours but it was a very humid day and i made the mistake of putting the iced cake in the freezer to harden before putting the MMf on.

So apparently that makes it sweat more!. My suggestion are that I found it very easy to work with and to roll and lay, it tastes great BUT you have to have ample time dry.

I got my jumbo to the shiny but slightly tacky stage which was ok, just don't touch it.

You can put it in the fridge too, but again you've got to give it ample time to let it dry as condensation will build on top.

As for marshies - I get them all the time from woolies and i also buy the rolled fondant too. just used it last night on a test cake i made.

from memory you will get more from home made MMF than store bought fondant for around 5.00 - around maybe 3x as much. I think it tastes quite good too.

i got the recipe from CC

nicolevoorhout Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 32

Here ladies, you can try any of these Australian Suppliers, from them you can buy fondant in bulk 7kg boxes, and most of them deliver so you don't have to lug it around! ;D

bakerchick Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #15 of 32

ok so i made this test cake for a 1 year olds birthday, used the Toba garret BC nicolevoorhout recommended. Now to be fair i didn't have the meringue mix so it wasn't stricktly word for word.

I found it very easy to make: i reduced the quantities to the following:

125gr butter
125gr copha
500-600 gr icing sugar
1 tspn vanilla
3-4 tbsp milk

It came together really well, went on well but it was still a bit soft. so it would not hold up in humidity. when i coloured the BC i also found the colours did not adhear as well as I thought they would. The meringue powder must help give it a dryer consistency i imagine. I will give it another go with the meringue and see how it's different.

I must also add the copha taste was nowhere to be found. i was peasantly surprised.

tried to attach a photo of my test cake but it won't let me - if you'd like to have a look i'll put it in my photos file. It was supposed to have a plush teddy on top but because the colours were coming off to the touch i had to leave it out. reckon it still needs something though?

TFL

nicolevoorhout Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #16 of 32

SO here's the link I forgot to add! Doh! http://pub21.bravenet.com/freelink/show.php?usernum=1726774218

Yes I think the merigue powder is an important component however I keep adding icing sugar till I get the consistency I want so if it was still too soft maybe you needed a bit more!?! Something to keep in mind for next time! ;D Also try putting the iced cake in the fridge for half an hour the copha will set up! Or it should!

bakerchick Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #17 of 32

sorry forgot to clarify - i did add more icing sugar and it mixed well although i found it had that grity consistency no matter how long i beat it for and when i did put it in the fridge it set well but was still soft - not runny soft but soft enough you could mark it.

i'm sure your right about the meringue powder though. will definately have to try it again!

nicolevoorhout Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #18 of 32

It is buttercream so it won't set up hard like fondant. I need to check my recipe at home because I feel something is missing. Will get back to you tonight ;D

bakerchick Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #19 of 32

that would be so much appreciated. can't wait!

nicolevoorhout Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:24am
post #20 of 32

OK, these are the measurements I use for a half batch.

250g butter
125g copha
1 tablespoon vanilla
750g icing sugar (approx, sifted)
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoon meringue powder.

Soften/melt the copha, and cream together with the butter
Add the flavouring.
Add the icing sugar one cup at a time let it mix abit between adding
Once all the icing sugar is added Add the meringue powder
Add the liquid and then leave to beat for up to 10 minutes.

I'm thinking yours was grainy because not quite enough liquid I've tried the water and milk but prefer the water think it helps reduce grainyness but could talking out my a*** and it might all be in my head ! ;D

Don't know if it makes a difference but maybe try the altered measurements and see how you go.

Definitely think there will be a difference with the meringue powder too, but see how you go! ;D

bakerchick Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:42am
post #21 of 32

Thanks heaps for this - looks like i was well short of the mark. I will try the water too.

With that much copha, you still can't tell?

nicolevoorhout Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 8:47am
post #22 of 32

It's the same amount of copha you said you used it's an increase in most of the other ingredients. But no I can't tell! But I do believe it's one of those things you should try and make your own mind up about! ;D

bakerchick Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #23 of 32

Hey nicolevoorhout,

well I tried out your recipe for BC and worked a treat. Firms up well without all the hassel and doesn't melt on the counter which is a great thing. I added the meringue powder and i think that made a big difference too. So thank you sooooo much for sharing.

I've used your recipe on 2 cakes now. One was the white birthday slab and the other was the barbie cake. so thanks again hope thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif i can return a favour some time. let me know.

regards
bakerchick

nicolevoorhout Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #24 of 32

No problem, the recipe is actually a Toba Garrett recipe just tweaked for Aussies! ;D

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

The cakes look great, nice colouring on the barbie cake did you airbrush the top?

bakerchick Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:20am
post #25 of 32

yes i did airbrush the top, had a lot of fun with that one. thanks heaps again.

i'm carving a sports car for this saturday at the moment, can't wait to see what that one will look like. i'll be using MMF on that one. Wish me luck!

bakerchick

nicolevoorhout Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #26 of 32

Good luck! ;D I've done a couple of cars but I've cheated by using the wilton car pan and then just adjusting the shape from there. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

pixie_dust51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixie_dust51 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #27 of 32

hi bakerchickicon_smile.gif, i too have wondered about the buttercream icing and i used the faux buttercreeam one on this site just the other day i think it was number 2 with the plain flour which acts as mengue powder substitute , but i didnt like the taste so nxt time i will half butter half copha!!!

if that makes sence ??, i also tried MMF and found it to be very very soft aswell as yummy and a better option for my kids with les to no preservatives aswell due to food intollerances but im not sure if i would make it for potential clients!!,, im going to give the satin ice a try next time and see how that one goes!!!

anyways good luck hope this has helped al lil even though ya already got answers , ohh and with the marshmallows i got mine from coles they were pascels and big white ones!!

nattyxoxo happy baking thumbs_up.gif

bakerchick Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #28 of 32

where do you get Satin Ice from? I have not seen it around anywhere. MMF i find is really easy to work with, but i've heard good things about Satin ice too. it might be worth trying icon_rolleyes.gif

pixie_dust51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixie_dust51 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:34am
post #29 of 32

i was just going to make some with the recipes on CC and give it a try icon_smile.gif i think you can order it from us though mabey start a new thread and ask for us suppiers !!! gd luck will keep ya posted on it when i try it icon_smile.gif

nattyxoxo

bakerchick Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #30 of 32

hey everyone - I am now trying to find out what plastic icing is? any clues. I need real red fondant and the only one i can find is called plastic icing which does not inspire real confidence? anyone used it let us know. what does it taste like? does it fair better than MMf on hot days? any info would be great

I used the MMf again on my carved car, i think this time of year is great as there are no issues with heat. i find it so easy to make and use. but there has to be something that holds up in the heat?

thanks
bekerchick

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%