Luster Dust

Baking By kim62808 Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm by Lony

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #1 of 5

I there a diff between sparkle dust and luster dust ? I am making a wrestling belt that needs to look gold and I cannot find this kuster dust at micheals nor hobbie lobby only sparkle and glitter Help ?

4 replies
sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:42am
post #2 of 5

There is a big difference on the Sparkle Dust vs. luster dusts. The sparkle is larger grained and it will not adhere the same way a luster dust does. I am located in a very limited supply area and find that I am far better off to order online when I can not find it at a local store. Our Michael's does carry the luster dusts though. It only carries the Wilton brand. The colors we have available here is limited though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:42am
post #3 of 5

I'm sure there is difference, but I don't know what it is. I know what you are talking about the Wilton's gold dust at Michaels. You can paint the area you need with the gold mixed with clear vanilla or lemon extract or vodka, I use everclear.
I painted the gerbera daisie and roses with the dark pink Wilton dust
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1257838.html
I painted this cake with ck luster dust
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html

Jibbies

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:14am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklynne

There is a big difference on the vs. . The sparkle is larger grained and it will not adhere the same way a does. I am located in a very limited supply area and find that I am far better off to order online when I can not find it at a local store. Our Michael's does carry the though. It only carries the Wilton brand. The colors we have available here is limited though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

thank you for ur time and helping me , maybe I will try a diff Micheals location . Or just buy it online .

Lony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lony Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 5

You might try JoAnns superstores I know they have it, and so does WalMart (at least the ones here do)

The luster dust works great for painting if you mix it with vodka. The alcohol evaporates and it leaves no aftertaste. I mix it in my airbrush and spray it on whenever possible. You get a more even coverage that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%