Anyone Have The Wilton Impression Mats?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm by mom2spunkynbug

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 11

I just bought the pink one with dasies and the green one with vines. I haven't used them yet but after looking at them more closely I'm afraid that the design is meant to be indented. Do you think I can turn them around so that the design is embossed? I'm sooo sad if I can't. icon_sad.gif I like the raised look muuuch better! Anyone used them yet? What do you think?

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 11

It's funny, I was just going to post about these to see if anyone else had used them. I have the same ones that you do, and I used the green one for the first time yesterday. The design is definitely indented, you won't be able to use them so that it's raised.

The questions that I had was if anyone has tips on how to get the fondant on the cake without totally ruining the design. If you try to smooth the fondant down it smooths it out, if you press it it stretches it, etc. The only way that I can see using it to keep the pattern intact would be to do a wrap on the side of the cake and a separate piece on the top, but what a pain...

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 11

Just play around and see what happens, I think it can go both ways, heres what I did with mine

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 11

I got one at a Wilton training seminar and I turned around and sold it Ebay. I didn't like it at all, it was to hard to work with.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:05am
post #5 of 11

I'm glad this question came up. I thought about getting one but I may wait.

Jibbies

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 11

I used the green vine one, indented only....it was hard to place on and around the cake and you couldn't smooth it. I just lifted the whole thing up. It did okay. The design did stretch a little. I wasn't sure so I rubbed my mat with a little shortening before I used it just in case it stuck.

TyeRiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyeRiley Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:30am
post #7 of 11

I just finished a cake today using the impression mat. It's in my photos its the one with the bow on top. I used the mat for the panels on the side and the bow. The pattern did stretch when I lifted the fondant to put it on the cake. I used a little powdered sugar on it and my fondant so that it wouldn't stick. I liked using it. I then filled the imprint with royal icing of a different color though. If was alot of work but fun.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:55am
post #8 of 11

I also received the pink one at the WMI meeting. We were taught how to use it.

This is what I do to put the fondant on cake with out distorting imprint.
Dust lightly with cornstarch mix, roll out fondant, place mat on top of fondant and with fondant smoother press into fondant. lift and reposition If possible try and match pattern then press with fondant smoother again.

Pressing instead of rolling keeps the mat from distorting the design.
Using a second roll and cut mat placed on top of fondant carefully flip over and remove top mat slide the largest cake circle you have under fondant and move to just above cake. Gently slide fondant onto cake, gently press fondant to cake try not to pull it if possible. once on cake add finishing touches.HTH

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #9 of 11

Yes, I have both...actually I have 2 of the daisy mats. I got the 2nd one at a WMI meeting.
I was disappointed when I first used them because the image kept getting distorted when I rolled the mat on top of the fondant. Then I learned the correct way to use them.
They are made of silicone. Silicone stretches. That is why my impressions became double when I rolled the fondant.
I was instructed to roll fondant to desired size. Place the impression mat over the fondant. Then roll just a little area at a time. rolling in one direction, then another. This way you do not stretch the silicone. Voila! I had beautiful impressions!
I love my mats. I plan to cut my second one to about 4" in height to use for side of cakes.

zandramads2u3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zandramads2u3 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 6:03am
post #10 of 11

I have both mats and love them. to get the raised design i turn one of my mats over and lay flat side up then i roll my fondant out and press roll the pattern side down on my fondant so it imprints on the mat. after I'm done rolling i just gently lift the top mat that was design side down on the fondant off and use the other mat to place fondant on my cake. the pattern seems to stay this way.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 11

I got the green one & I don't like it. There's a pic of the cake dummy in my photos.

I thought it was way too hard to work with - way to flexible. I ended up cutting it and placing it against the sides of the fondant (already on the dummy) and using the fondant smoother to push the design in.

I thought it would be more like Earlene's mats, but it was way too flimsy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%