Not Quite A Cancellation...

Business By pinklesley1 Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm by leah_s

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 8

I had a wedding that the contract was signed but had not sent me the deposit yet...

so she calls me the other day and tells me that her and her FDH are rescheduling the wedding date from Jan 9th, 2009 to December 11, 2010....

what do i do? do i honor the contract price or do i send her an email that states that the price may change by dec 2010? what do i do i am at a loss... she said that she doesnt want to cancel just change the date!!!

im at a loss, and i am so sad bc i really like her and her FDH they are both super cute and young couple (but the economy hit them both real hard - they both lost their jobs)... im at a loss, can anyone tell me that i should do?

7 replies
cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 8

If she signed a contract then it should state the date the original cake was for. Plain and simple. A new contract comes with new terms. Seriously it's almost two years!

Would you normally do a contract that was two years out? If not then explain that to her. Since it's two years out she can put a deposit to hold the date but a new contract needs to be drawn up closer to the event.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 8

I don't book more than a year out because I'm just not comfortable committing to something that far in advance. But if you are, I would tell her she can give you a deposit to hold the date, but that you cannot commit to a price that far out and she'll have to sign a new contact when the date gets closer and you'll hold on to the old one to refer to for the the design and flavors she originally chose.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with the other posters. She will need a new contract. What if something crazy happens and prices of things go even higher?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 8

I'm sorry they had to postpone, but what I'd do is say that I'll just tear up the original contract (since no money changed hands) and we'll see each other in (say) June of 2010 to renegotiate. They may change their minds on a number of things, prices could skyrocket, and who knows what else. They'll understand that the contract will need to be revisited when the date isn't so far away anymore.

Deanna

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 8

Right, you have a signed contract that binds you to deliver a cake on the date on the contract. If someone changes one of the terms then both parties have to agree to the change. Just tell her that you'll pencil her in for that date, but that you'll have to talk to her closer to the time to re-write another contract and reprice everything.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:35am
post #7 of 8

From having worked with brides who have rescheduled when I worked at the reception halls... I'd say that the best PR comes to vendors who are easy to work with in this respect to a date change.

I would flat out tell her that you'll be happy to change the date however that you won't be able to lock in the price until a year out from the date using the same design but that you'll be happy to change the date in your calendar for now with a deposit(let's face it, December of 2010 is a ways out, but I had one bride I did the cake for that I was technically booked for it about 4 or 5 years out from the time they made their announcement, then again, she was a wedding gift so it was in a category all its own)...

I'd probably say something to the effect of "Thank you for contacting me regarding the date change for your wedding. Typically I do not book that far out in advance however given the circumstances I will be happy to change the date however I will need to send you a new contract with the new date to sign. Unfortunately because of the volatilities in the commodity market right now I cannot lock in the price of the cake as previously discussed because of the ingredient and energy costs associated with doing your cake until 6 to 14 months prior to your wedding date. I look forward to designing your wedding cake on your new date of _______. Sincerely, The Fabulous baker that I Am!"

Good luck!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 8

How do you have a signed contract without a deposit?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%