What's Your Favorite Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm by dcabrera

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 18

Hi guys! I'm taking wiltons course 2 and I need to make a crusting buttercream. I really don't like regular bc so I usually make smbc to cover my cakes, but it doesn't pipe as good. I really just need it for piping and flowers. Does anyone have a good recipe that's not too sweet or grainy? I would really appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

17 replies
wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 18

u should try sugarshacks bc
it tastes really good,not too sweet or grainy and it crusts very nicely
hth!

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 18

Check out the Buttercream Dream recipe in the recipe section. It's all I use, and it tastes amazing. I don't have any "grainy" issues with it, and whenever I have needed to do any piping or writing, I just thin it a little bit and it works like . . . . . well, like a dream! icon_smile.gif

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 18

I second the Buttercream Dream! I swore I would never use a bc with shortening in it as it doesn't even compare to my smbc but it is delicious and not grainy at al.

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 18

Definately Sugarshack's recipe. That's all I use and it's so easy.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 18

For a crusting buttercream, I use Indydebi's Crisco Buttercream, found in the recipe section. I like it very much.

Though, I usually use a non-crusting bc - made from a sort of Bavarian Cream, a wee bit of confectioner's sugar & butter...omigoodness it is yummers!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 18

I like the BC Dream (very sweet) and the House Buttercream from Whimsical Bake House (more whipped, not as sweet).

dcabrera Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 18

I've made buttercream dream and it's still way too sweet. I think I might try it again and maybe just add more salt. I've been wanting to try Sugar shacks bc, but I can't find hi-ratio shortening out here in Cali. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 18

dcabrera, depending on where you are in L.A., Surfas in Culver City carries hi-ratio shortening. I think their brand was CK products, which is not as well-reviewed here as Sweetex, but at least it's hi-ratio. At least they used to carry it, I bought some last year. Small quantities available too, I think I bought a 3-5 lb bucket for less than $8. If you haven't been to that store, it is worth a trip, but you may just want to bring a $20 bill and leave your wallet at home, it's like freakin' Disneyland for cooks! icon_smile.gif

dcabrera Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #10 of 18

I'll will look it up. Thanks

AddisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AddisCakes Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #11 of 18

I went to Glorias in LA and they had Sweetex but it was like $6 almost for a 16oz tub. I think they repackaged it. I'm not sure but it was with their label but said Sweetex and since that was my first time seeing Sweetex I'm not sure. It's in and around Culver also.... Where is Surfas?

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #12 of 18

I bought some hi ratio (don't know what brand) from AB cakes in East LA and she was selling it for a 1.29 for 8 oz, she repackages it too, and if your interested she also sell the brite white for the same price and size.

but I been wanting to go to surfas it on National and Washington they have a web site. so should I leave the bank card at home too icon_lol.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 4:39am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddisCakes

I went to Glorias in LA and they had Sweetex but it was like $6 almost for a 16oz tub. I think they repackaged it. I'm not sure but it was with their label but said Sweetex and since that was my first time seeing Sweetex I'm not sure. It's in and around Culver also.... Where is Surfas?

Ooh thanks, I really want to try Sweetex. $6/lb seems steep but I have checked out the prices for other cake items on Gloria's website, they are definitely overpriced. But might be worth it just to try the product out. Stop there and then Surfas to get the CK brand, time for a taste test...?! icon_smile.gif

Surfas is dangerous! But the prices are GREAT. I get Callebaut chocolate there for a fraction of the cost of any good chocolate elsewhere. They are not a cake supply store but they have a decent cake supply section, lots of Americolor gels (but not all of them), a few luster dusts, tons of Magic Line pans, cake boards...I can't recommend the place enough. I bought a 32oz bottle of Neilsen-Massey Madagascar vanilla there for about $24 - that makes it cheaper per ounce than the cheapest supermarket brand and it is soooooo good! L.A. cakers, go to Surfas!

feliciangel Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 8:20am
post #14 of 18

this is kinda besides the point. I don't know if anyone is interested, but there is gonna be a yard sale. Looks like they owned a bakery. I wish I could make it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/gms/818499924.html icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 18

.......wanting to try Sugar shacks bc, but I can't find hi-ratio shortening out here in Cali........

I have made SS's icing for years (in fact, she used my recipe as a basis for her's) and never used anything but Crisco. Works just fineicon_smile.gif

feliciangel Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.......wanting to try Sugar shacks bc, but I can't find hi-ratio shortening out here in Cali........

I have made SS's icing for years (in fact, she used my recipe as a basis for her's) and never used anything but Crisco. Works just fineicon_smile.gif

it seems lately using the sugar shack method with any shortening crisco or the off brands I get a cottage cheese like consistency. maybe you can help me with this?

I found hi ratio but my cake supply store only had two 8 oz containers. she had bright white and told me to mix them together. I made the bright white recipe from here, and all I can say is wow icon_eek.gif it was yummy

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 18

I think mine is really good
Jibbies White Velvet Buttercream
1 stick salted butter
1 1/2 cups of crisco
2 teaspoons clear vanilla
mix on low
add 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
slowly add 2 pounds of powdered sugar (I weigh mine)
You may or may not need to add more hwc
When it is all incorporated scrape bowl and mix on #5 (I use a KA) for about 2 minutes .
Tastes great, smoothes easily, crusts well, colors nicely. Try it and let me know what you think.

Jibbies

dcabrera Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

What if I use regular coffer creamer instead of the powdered? How do you think that would work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%