Wilton Tilting Cake Turntable...need Answers :)

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 2 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm by beth2027

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 29

Hey there,

I am on my way to buy the Wilton Tilting Cake turntable. Is it a good product and is it worth the money? Is it REALLY non-slip??

Love to hear your opinions on this icon_smile.gif

28 replies
Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 29

I didn't like it....I gave it away! It wobbled and made me nervous that it would fail and my cake would have been a blob on the counter.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 29

I don't like mine either. It never set level. Also when I used it tilted my cake slid on the cake board.

Don't waste your money!

justinsnaynay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justinsnaynay Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 29

I agree with the others . It does not seem sturdy at all. I gave mine away . Don't waste your money.

lvspaisley Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 29

Thanks you guys icon_smile.gif I'll just use that $ for something FUN today icon_smile.gif

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 29

I bought mine with a 50% off coupon from Joann's. I used it twice, but hate it because, like the others, it feels really wobbly and I'm scared to death one of my cakes will fall off. Everytime I try to lift it to move it to a different spot, the turntable part comes off. Drives me nuts!!!!!!!!! Glad I didn't pay full price!!!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 29

Bought it. icon_razz.gif

Cake fell off of it. icon_cry.gif

Hate it. icon_evil.gif

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 29

I used it once and it was really wobbly and I'm not a big fan of it. I hate that I wasted the money on it.

lvspaisley Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 29

I am soooooo glad I asked before I bought it! Thank goodness I have honest people to tell me the truth icon_smile.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 29

I am so glad I saw this post too. I have been wanting to buy this for a long time. I just thought it would help when adding details on the sides of the cakes. Is there another brand that works?

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 29

find a restaurant supply place in your area that will allow you to buy or find an auction where a baker is going out of business. I stumbled on one by accident one day. I bought two for about 40, they are the heavy duty ones and they work great.

hammer1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 29

find a restaurant supply place in your area that will allow you to buy or find an auction where a baker is going out of business. I stumbled on one by accident one day. I bought two for about 40, they are the heavy duty ones and they work great.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 29

I also bought the tilting turntable--great concept but the mechanics of it are horrible. When I had it tilted, my cake, also, slid off--I caught it. When I put a stacked cake on it, I thought it was going to break. I returned it. I just bought Wilton's Professional Turntable. Has anyone had any experience with this or should I just take it back now?

hammer1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 29

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 12:53am
post #15 of 29

To get your cake at a slight angle (not so much that it will fall off the turntable) just slip a bench scraper under an adge of the cake, so that the edge of the cake board is resting on the bench scraper's handle.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #16 of 29

A while back the subject of the Wilton tilting turntable came up and how unstable it is. I had been thinking of buying one, but decided not to. I came up with a more stable version to use.
I have an 18"turntable that I always use when working on cakes, it has a circle of that non-slip mesh we all use. I had an extra 4"ring binder, I use them to store my cake decorating magazines. I taped the edges together with packing tape and wrapped a length of that non-slip mesh around the binder and set it on my turntable. I also set my trim'n'turn turntable (from the Wilton courses)on top of that and added another circle of non-slip mesh. It will turn, but nothing slides. You could set it on a box to make it higher. It works very well, and doesn't dump cakes like the Wilton one has done for several here.
LL

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:03am
post #17 of 29

actually I looooove mine I use it every week....

but not on cakes. I decorate my cookies on it because the way I sit I dont get as tired.

Patty*

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:33am
post #18 of 29

There was some one in my wilton cake decorating class that was given one as a gift. She couldn't get hers to lock and the top part kept separating from the bottom.

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:48am
post #19 of 29

I dont know about the wilton one I have a PME tilting turn table got it at 1/3 off at my local decorating shop. And I love it nothing falls off it the top does come off when you want it to and now when you dont. I have used it on all my cakes and love it.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 9:53am
post #20 of 29

I bought the wilton turn table Big waste of money its scary I also bout the wi Wilton's Professional Turntable I love it I also have the Wiltons reg. org Turntable and use it quite abit

cakemommync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommync Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #21 of 29

Oh bummer! I just bought one today as someone handed me a 50% off coupon. I haven't tried it yet but am surprised as all their other turntables I have I have been really pleased with!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #22 of 29

I think I'm one of the few who loves mine! I use one of those non-slip drawer liners as added insurance and haven't had a cake slip yet. Actually if you're interested I think at least 3 of my videos show me using it tilted!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #23 of 29

I wish I would have read this post BEFORE I bought mine. I hate it too. What a waste of money. icon_cry.gif

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #24 of 29

I bought it, tried it, took it back. Only one of several Wilton products that didn't work as I thought they would.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

I came up with a more stable version to use.
I have an 18"turntable that I always use when working on cakes, it has a circle of that non-slip mesh we all use. I had an extra 4"ring binder, I use them to store my cake decorating magazines. I taped the edges together with packing tape and wrapped a length of that non-slip mesh around the binder and set it on my turntable. I also set my trim'n'turn turntable (from the Wilton courses)on top of that and added another circle of non-slip mesh. It will turn, but nothing slides. You could set it on a box to make it higher. It works very well, and doesn't dump cakes like the Wilton one has done for several here.

Sugarfrosted - this is super clever! Thanks for sharing the picture. I've been looking for a good device to do stringwork - looks like I'll be digging out all those different sized 3-ringed binders from the old days!

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:25pm
post #26 of 29

sugarfrosted, very clever. I think you should change ur name to MacGyver icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #27 of 29

What a smartypants you are - that's wonderful! That's such a clever and creative way to make your own STABLE turntable.

My girlfriend lost a cake to the Wilton turntable because she couldn't get it locked. She's never used it since then. I haven't had a problem with mine but I can sure see how people could.

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #28 of 29

Wow, SugarFrosted, thanks for sharing! That's very clever. I bought the tilting turntable a while back. I've only used it once, and that was with a 6", so I didn't have any problem with sliding. I did use the mesh that SugarFrosted for added slip resistance. It is a rather shoddy design, and the top does come off much too easily. I will probably still use mine (at least until I have a cake disaster) because it is fabulous to have something that lets you turn and access the side easier, but I don't know that I would buy this one if I had things to do over again.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #29 of 29

I like mine, but I don't do large cakes (the biggest I've done is a half sheet). The top and the base do seperate from each other, but I've found that makes it easier for cleaning purposes.
I've not had a cake slip, but I can see how a larger cake might slip.
I've not had any problems with getting it to lock.
I'd say if you are wanting a professional stand, this one is not the way to go, but if you are just a hobby baker (small stuff for friends and family) then it is a good investment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%