Need 70 Cupcakes And Some Help...

Baking By mndy204 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm by Tatusky

mndy204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mndy204 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all. I am relatively new to this site and have been lurking a while, commenting on photos, etc. My question is this, I have just gotten my first paying job, YAY!! I need to make 70 football themed cupcakes to take to my sister's work for football day. They want me to charge for all of my supplies and add enough in to make a profit. I'm totally lost on what to charge to make a profit. I'm pretty new to all of this, but I think that the football cupcakes can be without a lot of stress.

What would you all charge for a beginner just wanting some experience?

Also does anyone have any tips on whether or not I should do homemade cupcakes or box?

Thank you all so much!!

15 replies
babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 16

i use a box mix for my cupcakes and get lots of compliments on them.so i think a box mix would work fine. a lot of folks add up the cost to make the cupcakes and then multiply that by 3 to get the price to charge. i hope that helps.............

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybundt

i use a box mix for my cupcakes and get lots of compliments on them.so i think a box mix would work fine. a lot of folks add up the cost to make the cupcakes and then multiply that by 3 to get the price to charge. i hope that helps.............

totally agree! don't forget that you can start making them a day in advance! you can just put them in a container so they don't dry out. thumbs_up.gif and I think that a $1 a cupcake for a beginner is a good starting price. I think that would make a profit for you! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 16

I just made 170 mini cupcakes and baked them two days before they were due, frosted half the same night, finished frosting the other half the night before. That is usually how I do it, bake 2 days in advance and, depending on amount and how detailed the decoration, do that the night before. I also cover them in saran wrap once the unfrosted cupcakes are cooled if I leave them out or put them in the fridge (I find that either refrigerated or left out are fine for a day or so as long as there is no one else you need to worry about doing "quality control" on them.)

Also making your own frosting helps make them taste more "home made" as opposed to the junk they sell in the grocery store (uck!).

Do you know what design you are using to decorate them? A grass tip is very handy with any kind of sports ideas and a chocolate mold of a football would be fun to use with that.

Congrats on the paying gig!!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 16

I just made 170 mini cupcakes and baked them two days before they were due, frosted half the same night, finished frosting the other half the night before. That is usually how I do it, bake 2 days in advance and, depending on amount and how detailed the decoration, do that the night before. I also cover them in saran wrap once the unfrosted cupcakes are cooled if I leave them out or put them in the fridge (I find that either refrigerated or left out are fine for a day or so as long as there is no one else you need to worry about doing "quality control" on them.)

Also making your own frosting helps make them taste more "home made" as opposed to the junk they sell in the grocery store (uck!).

Do you know what design you are using to decorate them? A grass tip is very handy with any kind of sports ideas and a chocolate mold of a football would be fun to use with that.

Congrats on the paying gig!!

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 16

I think personally that $1 is too low, but that depends I guess on your location. I charge $2 -$2.50 per cupcake, (canadian)
and I am a beginner, and I never have anyone haggle over the price...

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 16

I'm a beginner too and I chg $1.50 for just swirl of icing and maybe sugar or a few sprinkles but if there's more deco than that I chg $2. I haven't had anyone turn it down either! good luck and have fun!!! icon_lol.gif

mndy204 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I found some football themed cupcakes in the Wilton Cupcake Fun magazine so I'm going to do that. There's a helmet and there's also grass with a football and a goal post. So, it'll be 2 different kinds of cupcakes.

I'm thinking of making a recipe in the magazine for the cupcakes too and maybe doing 2 or 3 different kinds of cupcakes. They are all started from box mix so I figure that can't be too bad. I'm overly excited so I'm afraid I'm going to go over the top. icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much for your help!!! I really appreciate it!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 16

Good luck and I'm sure they will turn out great. Welcome to the wonderful world of Cuppies. icon_biggrin.gif

mndy204 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you so much!! I'm really excited!! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 16

Do what you want.. and make sure you tell them they got your "you're my very first customer discount".. icon_wink.gif

mndy204 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Do what you want.. and make sure you tell them they got your "you're my very first customer discount".. icon_wink.gif

Good idea!!! thumbs_up.gif Thank you!!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Aaahhh Jeanne! Now that's a great idea!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mndy204 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybundt

I think I am going to make a box mix and just doctor it up a little or try a recipe out of a magazine I have, all of those recipes are from box mixes. I think that'll be much less stressful. Thank you very much for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks!! See that way they won't expect the super saver discounted price all the time.. and you can go over the top. Because we all remember those first orders.. the ones where you just wanted to try everything.. and you felt nervous about pricing.. icon_lol.gif.

I wouldn't go under $1.50/cuppie though.. I charge $4.50 each for custom decorated cupcakes.. make sure you make yoruself some money. Remember ALL of the steps in making them when factoring in you level of work.. not just the decorating, but the shopping, the cooking, the cleaning.. everything. icon_biggrin.gif

Tatusky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tatusky Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 16

I wouldn't go under $2.00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%