Pink And Purple Fading On Models Already...(Buttercream)

Business By littlecake Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm by indydebi

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:49am
post #1 of 4

is there some kinda trick to keep this from fading?

i was thinking of adding acrylic paint to the next batch....i'm glad i thought of this before i got em all done.

i may touch them up with paint.

i don't know why i haven't thought of this before...all my old models are the same color....ivory...after 7 years.

it seems like the fondant doesn't fade...i got some little figures i made a year ago...still bright.

3 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:54am
post #2 of 4

PInk and purple always fade. I paint mine with paint.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 4

I second the paint idea. I once had a birthday cake fade from purple to blue in ONE HOUR. Didn't that just chap my butt!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 4

History lesson from the gramma (aka "Banna") of the bunch, here!

Over 20 years ago (before my son was born), the #2 Red Food Dye was taken off of the market. Ever since, cake creators have been dealing with the issue of fading red. Your purple fades to blue because the red part of the purple fades away to nothing, leaving just the blue. Deep reds can fade to pink as the red fades away.

so anytime you are dealing with a color that has red in it (reds, purples, oranges, etc), the potential for fading will happen. It's not anything you've done ... it's just because good 'ole #2 was taken off the market forever ago. (it was our version of the zero-trans-fat crisco issue! icon_biggrin.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%