Reposting My Question.. Can Anyone Help!!!

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 4:31am by Steady2Hands

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:43am
post #1 of 8

i really need some help on how to construct a 3D NFL Helmet... can anyone help??!? i posted this question a few days ago and got no response...

7 replies
tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:52am
post #2 of 8

I answered this question for another CC member a few months back..here is the link to it:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-585006-.html

You can view the helmets in my pics.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:52am
post #3 of 8

There is a pic of a 3D helmet beside a football field in my photos. There are others on this site also. I used a ball pan and cut away the top front. I think you can tell by looking at the pic. Hope this helps.

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #4 of 8

I'm no expert (and this is my first post!) but I think I would use the Wilton ball pan and sculpt a fondant helmet around it. You could even put it on a rectangular sheet decorated like a football field, so you have more cake.

Good luck!

Children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Children Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #5 of 8

I have never done one but if you plan on making the face mask I would make if first giving it plenty of drying time...actually I would personally make 2 just to cover my butt if the first one broke (lol). Then I would make up some rounds and just carve where needed. I think it would be easier to use fondant to cover the helmet than trying to use bc. Oh.. If the sizes work I would try to use a ball pan for the top for a perfect rounded shape. HTH...good luck. thumbs_up.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #6 of 8

I have one in my pictures too. I used an 8" round as a base, then put a ball pan on top of it. Then, I cut one side straight down with a knife where the "face" would go. I then rolled some fondant into "snakes" or "sausages" and inserted metal floral wire into them so they would bend in the shape I needed them for the mask. Once they were in the right shape, I placed them on the helmet (they were very fragile though). Just be careful when using the wire, mine was for my hubby's B-day so I wasn't worried about anyone trying to eat it, but if you're not going to be there when they eat the cake make sure someone knows about it!

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #7 of 8

I made one and used floral wire thru gumpaste for the face mask. Make ropes of gumpaste and push the wire thru and bend enough to get the shape you need.

HTH

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:31am
post #8 of 8

I have also never done one but I did just look at some helmet pictures. I agree that the ball pan would make a good top to the helmet.

My suggestion would be to make 2 round cakes ( 8" or so to match the size of the ball pan). When cooled, layer them with a layer of buttercream or filling between them. These will make the bottom of the helmet so cut off approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of the cake to give it a squared edge. Then prepare them for stacking. Put a straw into the center of a cake (or use a dowel if you prefer them) and cut it just above the icing. Then cut 3 more straws the same size. Insert them in to the cake as you would for stacked construction being sure to put two of them close to the corners of the squared edges to support the top part of the helmet.

Then, slice the ball pan cake in half lengthwise to make 2 layers. Place one half on a cardboard cake circle the same size. Put a layer of icing or filling on it and top it with the round cake layer. You will end up with a total of 4 layers. Then put the cake topped cardboard circle on top of the cakes you have prepared for stacked construction. Give the cake a final carving focusing on the back edge of the helmet (carve it slightly inward).

Once you are satisfied with the shape, ice and decorate it.

For the face guard, make it out of fondant (or 50% fondant & 50% gumpaste) several days in advance to give it time to fully dry. I'm sure someone will be able to help out with pattern suggestions.

My DH is ready for bed so I'd better get going but I'll finish with one other suggestion: make the helmet in more of an egg shape. But if you do be sure to cut the cardboard circle in the desired oval shape and use it as your guide when carving the bottom layers.

Okay, one more quick suggestion (unless it's a helmet for a quarterback). All the rest of the helmets have a verticle piece on the front of the face guard. That would be a great place to add another support. Maybe cover a straw or a dowel with fondant and use that to help support the front of the helmet top.

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.

Goodnight. (depending on what part of the earth you are on thumbs_up.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%