Gumpaste Flower: Willing To Help?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 9:08am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 16

I'm about to make my first flowers -- they are simple, 5 petal poppys.

Is anyone willing to give me some pointers? I don't need a detailed tutorial, but any tips will help. Especially attaching to stem (?).
LL
LL

15 replies
jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I'm about to make my first flowers -- they are simple, 5 petal poppys.

Attach the petals one at a time as close to the centre as possible. What specifically are you having trouble with?

Also, when making red flowers, start with pale pink gumpaste and then dust with red. Or start with pink and airbrush lightly with red. The color is much more realistic than if red gumpaste were used.
Is anyone willing to give me some pointers? I don't need a detailed tutorial, but any tips will help. Especially attaching to stem (?).

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 16

You could wire each petal individually with 28g or lighter like a leaf and put them together and tape togehter. You can do the same with the stamens.

You commented on my red roses so you know you can get good red gumpaste! Feel free to email me or PM me with specific questions MacsMom.

Other than that roll as thinly as possible and use a ball tool to frill the edges. Gumpaste is pretty strong so don't be afraid to work on it. The worst that can happen is that you have to roll it in a ball and start again.

Do you have a pasta roller? That works really well.

MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks so much for the tip about starting with pink! I knew I'd have a hard time with red.

A friend said that red powdered food color can be used - what do you think? I don't have red petal dust nor an airbrush (yet!).

I'm not sure if I should use toothpicks or wire to attach them to or whether to make the center first and then add the petals around it.

I just don't want to waste a lot of time learning through error icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 16

Hi,
Flower hater here!! Do you have on the reverse side of your paste rolling board, little grooves of various depths and lengths? If so, these are for doing flowers/petal that need wire on them. You roll out your flowerpaste/gumpaste from the edge so that the bottom bit is into the grooves, then cut out your petal shape so that the grooved bit is at the bottom edge of the petal where it joins the flower. Then gently push your wire into the grooved bit so that it is within the double thickness bit. Does that make any sense???? Then leave them to dry over a former and then attach all together.
HTH
Jenny

MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 16

Ehhhh.... Paste rolling board? Gawd I'm so out of it! Gotta get one of those icon_sad.gif

lorrieg Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 16

Yep you need one. I think mine is by Cel Cakes and it's got the grooves and mexican hat holes on one side and smooth on the other. And it comes with a non-slip piece of rubber to put under it. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 16

Okay - so I suppose I'll have to buy for furture use! Wish me luck on getting those wires in without one. I bought Wiltons gumpaste flower set with my JoAnns coupon just now, so perhaps it will help.

lorrieg Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 16

You can gently fold the petal in half and pinch the bottom third from the back and then open it flat again and use the back flap to put your wire through OR lay the wire down the centre of the front of the petal (bottom third or so) and pinch together from the back to encase the wire then smooth the petal flat. THEN shape the flower.

The Wilton's kit is great. Did you get the new one? I haven't seen it yet. I have the old one with the cutters and the book. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks again!

I must have the old one: It has the book, cutters foam pad and a few other utensils.

lorrieg Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 16

Yep, that's it. The only thing I would suggest as to tools would be to get a piece of white fun foam and use it as the pad to soften the petals on. It works really well and stuff doesn't stick to it like the foam. Do you have the practice board from Wilton? It is good to use to place your cut pieces under the flap while you are working on another one. If not, make sure you cover the gumpaste really well to keep it from drying out.

I made every flower in the book at least once. I'm most proud of my Lily of the Valley. Look at the instructions. I only made one. icon_lol.gif

MacsMom Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 16

I hated making these! I always hate difficult things the first time I do them, though.

The petals had to be large and I couldn't get them to stay put when trying to wrap the wires with florists tape. I ended up just bunching them in groups of 2 and 3 petals and sticking them inside a coffee stirrer, then placing the centers to hide the wires...

I need PRACTICE!!!

In the end I think the cake lloked great, though icon_rolleyes.gif

MacsMom Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 16

Ooops -- here's the photo..
LL

lorrieg Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:30am
post #14 of 16

They are gorgeous! And the colour is perfect. Did you brush them & steam them? Lovely! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #15 of 16

Wow you did a great job on those for your 1st timeicon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:08am
post #16 of 16

MacsMom that is one fun cake! i love the flowers, very nice frilly edges and the cake is just so cool. awesome job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%