Allergy Cake With Long List Of Allergies...

Baking By danar217 Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 4:26am by makadamianut

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 5

A friend of mine has a little girl that is turning two in a few months. She has some extreme food allergies. She has a long list of items she can not have or even have touch her. I was asked to try and make a cake for her 2nd b-day. I would love to do it and have several months to come up with something. My icing recipe can be easily adapted but I'm having a hard time with the cake.

She is allergic to...rice products, dairy (butter/milk), eggs, soy and nuts.

So any ideas? It can be any flavor.

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 5

You can get egg replacements in the health food section. be sure the carton says no egg.

as for the dairy, you can sub most any liquid for the milk, and oil for the butter.

You have time to test. I would suggest either chcocolate or a yellow cake they generally are the most durable.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 5

I would check out the vegan cake recipes. As long as she can have wheat and sugar you shouldn't have that hard of a time.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 5

Duncan Hines yellow cake is dairy and egg free. If you use an egg substitute you'll be fine. I used it for a child with a dairy allergy.

http://www.keepingthecastle.com/dairy-free-cake-mixes-from-duncan-hines/

HTH

Jodie

makadamianut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makadamianut Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5

I'm new to this website - but not new to food allergies!

I've searched for YEARS for a decent non-chocolate cake recipe... that works for egg and dairy allergies. Amazingly, about a month after finding it, my son outgrew his milk allergy. We still use it since his egg allergy doesn't seem to be going anyway...

It takes a little playing with to see how you like it - I tend to let mine bake a little longer and the edges are almost crisp... It's the only non-chocolate vegan cake I've had that isn't a crumbly disaster.

I got it here:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/29/Great_Vegan_Cake59324.shtml

Here it is:

***The basic recipe:***
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (scant) soy/rice milk/water (water works fine)
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Bake at 375 for 30 min. in greased pan.

Note: this is a small recipe. I'd double it for 4 servings, triple it if your house likes cake! (I've made 4 versions of this cake in the past two weeks for my house, and each disappeared overnight!)

Variations:

Sweet and Light Lemon Cake: add 1/4-1/2 cup lemon juice instead of the water/rice milk (that's for a double or triple recipe)

Orange Cake: add 2 cup Orange juice instead of water and cut back sugar (for a double recipe)

Torte: cut 1 or 2 apples into slices and lay them on top. you can sprinkle with cinnamon and/or sugar if you'd like. PLUMS actually wok really well like this - cut them in half...you need about 10. (again, this is for a double or triple recipe). be sure to make this in a large round pan for the right look. you may also want to use the full quantity of oil so that it's richer (instead of eggs, you know).

This recipe from CDKitchen for Great Vegan Cake serves/makes 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%