How Do I Color My Fondant Red?

Decorating By darlyn Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm by Bettycrockermommy

darlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlyn Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:16am
post #1 of 6

Help!! how do i color my fondant red. i have this red (no taste) food color from wilton but still it just turns out deep pink and it also changes the texture of my fondant... icon_cry.gif pls..pls...i need advise

5 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:33am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC darlyn.
How much fondant do you need to color? Enough to cover a tier. a cake or just for some accents?
If I had to cover a cake I would order Satin Ice Red fondant from intotheoven.com
If it's for a small amount try adding the color to a baseball size ball get it incorporated into that then keep adding more white fondant and a little bit of color until you get the amount you need. Also let it rest overnight the color should deepen. Add a little shortening to the fondant to help with the texture.
I'm not sure what kind of fondant you are using premade or purchased. I can't help you if it's homemade. Please don't use Wilton's premade. It's okay for things that won't be eaten.
Hope this helps a little

Jibbies

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:36am
post #3 of 6

The first thing is to start with a chocolate fandant. This will help because your not starting with white and you will end up needing less coloring. The other suggestion is to use a better brand of gel coloring. I think the one I use is called Chef master. I've found it to be better for deep colors. Wilton's fine for pastels.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:37am
post #4 of 6

I know this probably doesn't help you, but when I need red fondant ~ I either add the color when making homemade fondant or buy the precolored Satin Ice fondant. Wilton also sells multipacks of precolored fondant if you only need a small amount.

darlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlyn Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:54am
post #5 of 6

thank u all for the suggestions. i´m using homemade fondant and i just need a small amount of red for accents. i´m going to do a birthday cake this weekend and the problem is i´m from germany and i only buy the things that i need for my cakes online since they don´t sell it here. i really appreciate all the help...Thanks!!!!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 6

If you are making the fondant homemade, and you need a bunch of one color, you can add the color when you make it. Otherwise, get yourself some Americolor Super Red. It doesn't take nearly as much as the Wilton and the color is better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%