Not Licensed Yet .... Payment Issue!

Business By MichaelaRod Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm by Wesha

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone.
I need some legal input! I just did a cake for a retirement party at Commerce Bank. I am still beginning, out of my home for now because I don't think I am ready yet to start renting/leasing but in MO, it is not legal to have an in-home bakery so I told them I would only be able to do it for cash if they were going to expense it. I dropped off the cake today and they handed me an envelope, I got home and opened it and it is a Commerce Bank expense check. WHAT DO I DO??! Do you think I could get audited for $150 cake? They had my name and address on the check.

Should I contact them and tell them I can't accept it?

Like I said I am new to all this and I think I just got myself in a pickle!

THANK YOU!

5 replies
Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 6

Honey, dont sweat it. Untill you are accepting thousands of dollars worth of business a month do you really have to worry. When you have people coming and going from your house and people really start to notice or get jealous, then you worry.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #3 of 6

Is the check made out to your name?

If so, take it directly to the bank it is drawn from, if there is a local branch, along with ID, and cash it. If not, deposit it and don't sweat it.

Since it is just one check for $150, it shouldn't be a problem. It's when they start noticing a lot of checks for $150 being deposited into your account that a red flag will be raised.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 6

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I was having heart failure, I don't want to be out of business before I even start!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 6

Since it's such a low amount you dont have anything to worry about. If it were over $600 they might send you a 1099 at the end of the year (government regulations) but I wouldn't think they will for anything under that amount.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelaRod

Hi everyone.
I need some legal input! I just did a cake for a retirement party at Commerce Bank. I am still beginning, out of my home for now because I don't think I am ready yet to start renting/leasing but in MO, it is not legal to have an in-home bakery so I told them I would only be able to do it for cash if they were going to expense it. I dropped off the cake today and they handed me an envelope, I got home and opened it and it is a Commerce Bank expense check. WHAT DO I DO??! Do you think I could get audited for $150 cake? They had my name and address on the check.

Should I contact them and tell them I can't accept it?

Like I said I am new to all this and I think I just got myself in a pickle!

THANK YOU!

I would take it to the bank that the check is drawn on and just cash it. Now as far as licensing, if you are doing it part time, do you still have to be licensed?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%