Please Help! Will This Four Tiered Wedding Cake Be Too Big..

Decorating By tasteebakes Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 11:49am by lillicakes

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 7

to move in one piece?

Round wedding cake. 16", 14", 12", 8" stacked tiers using Bakery Crafts SPS. Whipped icing. no filling other than whipped icing between layers.

I really, really don't want to assemble on site. It needs to travel 2 miles. I'm not worried about the traveling. I'm worried about the lifting and carrying. I haven't moved one this heavy or tall and could use some advice.

Actually, I moved one this heavy before but not this tall. (Hubby lifts and carrys) But it was fondant. Please help!

6 replies
eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:09am
post #2 of 7

You are very brave! That is gonna be one very heavy cake! i, personally, wouldn't dream of it. i never transport cakes fully assembled. i usually stack the two bottom tiers, and if its 4 tier, i'll do the two bottom, and the two top, and put it all together on site. but that's me. there are those who would just deliver fully assembled.
i guess that's your call. sorry i'm not of much more help.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:12am
post #3 of 7

Based on the weight of the last big cake I made (yep, I put each layer on the scale!), your cake is going to weigh about 55 pounds, and that's without any base. Plus, it has to be carried level.
If you can handle the weight and handle the stress, take it assembled!

Jodie

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #4 of 7

For cakes fully assembled, I highly recommend a flat top utility cart like this...

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_1811.asp?desc=Flat+Shelf+Carts

Makes moving cakes easy. You can find them at Sam's Club, Costco, Ebay, etc for a range of prices.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:09am
post #5 of 7

It's going to be pretty heavy but if you have a strong person help you and no stairs or that d#%m cobblestone, you can make it. I have DH help and it saves my life!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:11am
post #6 of 7

That's a big cake, I suggest to assemble it on site, so many things can go wrong when handling a heavy cake like this.

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:49am
post #7 of 7

I moved a 14-10-6 and that was plenty heavy. Your cake would be close to twice as heavy...that would scare me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%