Commercial Ovens

Business By mdjazzfan Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm by CindiM

mdjazzfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdjazzfan Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 19

Hi,

I am about 6-8 weeks away from opening a bakery in Maryland and need to purchase ovens. I will be baking cakes and cookies. Can anyone suggest a brand of oven to get or stay away from. Are convections good for this type of baking?

Thanks in advance,
mdjazzfan

18 replies
sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 19

I am still using my residential unit but it might be a good suggestion to call a few restaraunt supply retailers. I would have them look over what your usage will be and have them make reccomendations and get you a few quotes. Then you can research the ovens they reccomend and price shop too. Best of luck icon_biggrin.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 19

This is Melody....we talked today, just wanted to tell you good luck, and glad you found this site!

melody

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 19

I have found ovens so confusing..as many of these restaurant supplies places are like Circuit City and want to sell you what they got overstocked in!

I would love to hear some responses too! I of course dream of having a blodgett but who can afford one?

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:14am
post #5 of 19

If you have the money, Blodgett. Don't buy gas. Gas is highly inaccurate in my experience.

If you really have the money, Pavailler double reverse convection. It's the Ferrari of ovens, and having baked in them, I lay awake at night dreaming of them. They're amazing.

Are you buying a deck oven?

Oh and shop around. Ask if delivery and INSTALLATION is included in the price. Shopping online for something this large is nearly always "useless" since the great price you'll inevitably be quoted doesn't include the high delivery fee.

Edit: you couldn't give me a Garland...

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 19

I have a Deluxe oven that will hold 4 full size sheet pans at once. So far I love it plus it uses a normal oven outlet so I can run it off my regular electrical current and my brother is an eletrician so he ran the wiring and new plug for it.

loriemoms Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #7 of 19

A llot of people also forget the high cost of your hood too...keep that in mind when budgeting for your oven!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 19

We ordered an Doyon pastry oven with a reversing convection fan for the bakery, but when it arrived, we couldn't get the doors off it to get it in the door of our 107 year old building, so I have a double Blodgett. I can bake three wedding cakes, and 48 cookies at time, but I'm still a litttle sad I didn't have them rip the door jam out and put in the Doyon.

http://www.doyon.qc.ca/html/en/products/bakery_ovens/jetair_ovens/ja28.php

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #9 of 19

Jenn 2179 please tell us more about your oven. I've been looking at the Deluxe myself for years and even had a couple of conversations with Russ at Deluxe. I especially liked the part where he told me that he has documentation from the California Health Department that says that, at least in California, Deluxe ovens don't need venting.

How long have you had your oven? Is there anything you don't like? I understand the shelves aren't movable. Has that been a problem? What model do you have?

I'm in the process of designing a kitchen (finally it may really happen!) and I think these would be my first choice. I've baked in a rotating deck oven (too big) and in a Blodgett (which I wasn't crazy about as it tended to make the cakes lopsided unless you fiddled with them.)

loriemoms Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

We ordered an Doyon pastry oven with a reversing convection fan for the bakery, but when it arrived, we couldn't get the doors off it to get it in the door of our 107 year old building, so I have a double Blodgett. I can bake three wedding cakes, and 48 cookies at time, but I'm still a litttle sad I didn't have them rip the door jam out and put in the Doyon.

That looks like it would make a great bread oven with the moisturizing features..but I laughed after your reading your story and it has "Space saving" on it hahaha! It looks HUGE! May I ask how much it ran?

loriemoms Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake

Jenn 2179 please tell us more about your oven. I've been looking at the Deluxe myself for years and even had a couple of conversations with Russ at Deluxe. I especially liked the part where he told me that he has documentation from the California Health Department that says that, at least in California, Deluxe ovens don't need venting.

a friend of mine has a home bakery with the deluxe..she loves it. She went down to floridia and picked it up herself..they gave her lessons and everything. It is the only oven I think that is really designed for the home bakery, as it doesnt need venting. THey used to give a discount to ISIS members..so don't forget to ask about that if you are a ISIS member..

snarkybaker Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

That looks like it would make a great bread oven with the moisturizing features..but I laughed after your reading your story and it has "Space saving" on it hahaha! It looks HUGE! May I ask how much it ran?

It's a $28,000 oven but we found a discounter who sold it to us for $16,000. I went to the showroom and did test baking for an afternoon. It was awesome. The heat is so even I baked cheesecakes without a water bath. FWIW, Moffat has a very nice smaller oven with the similar reversing fan and moisture features for around $5000. We just couldn't get one in the country by the time we opened.

loriemoms Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 19

wow, that is a great deal! Too bad you couldn't use it...it sounds like the creme of the crop!

snarkybaker Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 19

My husband has promised me the doyon for my 10th anniversary. ( Three years away). Of course, it could be an elaborate hoax to get me not to ask for anything big for the next three years. icon_confused.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:48am
post #15 of 19

here's mine....

5 full sheet racks.....

i'm kinda small potatoes, so it has worked well for me.

7 years now, no troubles....took 3 guys to move it...and had to take the door out to get it in.

http://www.acitydiscount.com/Southbend-Electric-Commercial-SilverStar-Convection-Oven-SLES-10SC.0.49802.1.1.htm

loriemoms Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:13am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

here's mine....

5 full sheet racks.....

i'm kinda small potatoes, so it has worked well for me.

7 years now, no troubles....took 3 guys to move it...and had to take the door out to get it in.

http://www.acitydiscount.com/Southbend-Electric-Commercial-SilverStar-Convection-Oven-SLES-10SC.0.49802.1.1.htm

I have ANOTHER friend who has a southbend and they said they can't make cupcakes in it because it dries them out. I wasnt sure if it was a end user problem or the oven...Can you make cupcakes in yours?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm
post #17 of 19

275 for 16 minutes, fan on low

they barely look done...but they are moist as can be.

i bet she's baking them too long or too hot.

loriemoms Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

275 for 16 minutes, fan on low

they barely look done...but they are moist as can be.

i bet she's baking them too long or too hot.

I knew it had to be a user thing!!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #19 of 19

I have an electric DeLuxe oven Model CR2-3.
Check deluxeovens.com, click on full size sheet pan ovens.
No special exhaust needed.
To help you get the size of it in mind, I can bake 6- 12x18 sheet cakes for bridal shows at the same time.
I have 3 baking shelves.
DeLuxe builds ovens for cake bakers with the gentle "convect-a-ray" type baking. It is awesome for cookies and cakes.
My cakes bake really nice. It was my first and best "gift" to me and my shop ( 7 years ago) .
thumbs_up.gif I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%