Clueless With Cakes

Decorating By princessconsuela Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm by armywifebryan

princessconsuela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessconsuela Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 3

So I'm making my first tiered cake for an anniversary party (I have a lot of time to learn) and I have a few questions-

1) I love when ribbons are used on the bottom of each tier, but do you typically use real ribbon or make them with fondant?

2) What is the best method to coloring buttercream? Wilton's gel, food coloring or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 3

when I use ribbon, its usually store bought satin ribbon, around one inch in width, and it has NO wire running through it .. its hard to get it to smooth if there is wire in the ribbon ... there is a cake in my photos with purple ribbon around the base, and I think it looks better then fondant ribbon, jmo, anyways, to color buttercream I really love Americolor. Their colors are so bold and vibrant and it does not take that much to get them that way. Hope that helps!

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 3

Yup. cakerator is right. I think real ribbon looks better. If you have buttercream under it and don't want it to grease up your ribbon, cut a piece of wax paper the same width of the ribbon and put it between the cake and the real ribbon. It will act like a barrier and protect the ribbon. HTH

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%