Clay Guns And Extruders

Decorating By elainec Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm by SusanaDalia

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 16

I know that I read the best places to buy these larger clay guns and extruders in this forum, but I cannot find the thread. Help please! Thanks in advance for your kindness.

15 replies
Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #2 of 16

I got mine at Michael's and used the 40 percent off coupon, so I ended up paying about $15 for it. It works great!

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:15am
post #3 of 16

Not to change the topic, but what is the secret to using these tools? I have a small one that I tried to use for Fondant, I am assuming that is the use it was being questioned for.

elainec Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #4 of 16

THanks Launa, I have the smaller one but I want a bigger one like Duff on Ace. Be sure and run a little shortening thru the gun or extruder befor putting in fondant or gunpaste and it works much better! I have made tassles and hair. I want the gun for rope borders.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #5 of 16

I bought a medium size one. i tried using it for a rope border and the lid pops off every time and dorve me nuts!!!

elainec Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #6 of 16

Thanks for the info Roxy. I am just learning more about fondant and gumpaste and I can use the advice!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:24am
post #7 of 16

I wish I could remember where I got it from. Its silver and black. I mixed crisco into the fondant and still nothing. I may again someday

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #8 of 16

I have the one Duff has and I love it but next time I would get one that is the next size down because it is a little big.The disks are sold separate and they leave one blank that is nice because I just needed a small hole and didn't have to change and use the really small one from Joann's{that hurts my hands}
I cant remember where I got it from but I know it was posted here and I think it was from a clay web site

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 16

I guess I haven't seen Duff use his as I didn't know there were different sizes! My small one works best if I make sure the fondant is really soft before I load it into the gun. If it's too stiff, the rope cracks some, so I just microwave the fondant for a few seconds before I put it in there. I really like mine and have used it way more than I thought I would when I bought it.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 16

I have 3 of them, the sugar gun with the red handle ($50) and I bought the green metal one from Michaels ($24ish) and then I just bought the one in the sculpy clay section at Michaels for $4.99. I love the $50 one bought from a local cake supply shop but I really like the 4.99 one the best so far.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 16

Hi,
Here's a tip if any of you may be interested. I've used a small clay gun for some of my cake a few times. Originally I had a tough time with it until I figured out the fondant/gumpaste a) needs to be soft and b) I held the gun (filled) under hot water making the metal hot. The fondant/gumpaste came out perfectly.
I do want to get a larger one though now that I know what I'm doing. (LOL)
Have a great day everyone! thumbs_up.gif

elainec Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks everyone for your input. Maybe someone will read this and know where to find one.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 16

I have 4. The best one is from Michaels. It's green anodized aluminum and the barrel is about 6" long which makes it awesome for long runouts. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to turn a screw to extrude. I think it was made for polymer clay. I can't recommend this one enough. It's a little fussier to fill, and takes forever to unscrew, but cannot be beat in all other aspects.

I have the black one with the red handle that you squeeze (found all over). This one is OK, but is useless for long runouts.

Then I have two other not even worth a mention. Well, never buy the metal one that you squeeze like a syringe. It's impossible to use. You will break your fingers.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

I have the one Duff has and I love it but next time I would get one that is the next size down because it is a little big.The disks are sold separate and they leave one blank that is nice because I just needed a small hole and didn't have to change and use the really small one from Joann's{that hurts my hands}
I cant remember where I got it from but I know it was posted here and I think it was from a clay web site

What does this one look like? Can you describe it? Do you have a source?

Fondant is always easier to extrude than gumpaste. I have to make my gumpaste with extra water if I am going to extrude it.

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 16

I would also like to know which one this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1719

Quote:

Fondant is always easier to extrude than gumpaste. I have to make my gumpaste with extra water if I am going to extrude it.

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #16 of 16

I would also like to know which one this is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1719

Quote:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%