What Am I Doing Wrong? Wasc Recipe

Decorating By csvess Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm by csvess

csvess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csvess Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 28

I have just tried the WASC recipe for the first time this week, yesterday AND today. While delicious, it's turning into a big mess.

When I test it after baking, the toothpick comes out clean. But it doesn't come out of the pan in one piece and the outside is all gummy.

Is there something I'm missing? Could it be the Bake Even Strips?

27 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:43am
post #2 of 28

I always use a parchment circle in the bottom of my pans. Spray the pan with Baker's Joy first, lay the parchment in, then spray the parchment. The cake NEVER sticks. WASC always sticks for me without the parchment. I use bake-even strips too for even rising.

Everyone does stuff differently. Maybe others will give some other methods and you can try several things.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #3 of 28

Make sure you are cooking your cakes at 325...instead of 350. If the pan is bigger than a 6 incher then put a flower nail in the center to help cook the center evenly also. I too use parchment paper on anything bigger than a 6 inch cake. I also turn my cakes out onto a board as soon as they come out of the oven. I don't wait the full 10 min.

Teri

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 28

The suggestions about the parchment and the flower nail are good ( I don't do either) I don't think they are addressing the problem of the cake being gummy. Sounds like your oven temp is off and it is actually underbaking. Have you checked your oven lately with an oven thermometer? If not maybe you should. Are other things taking longer than normal to bake?
Hope this helps

Jibbies

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #5 of 28

Something else has occurred to me. How many times are you wrapping the bake-even strip around the pan? Too many layers makes too much insulation and causes the outside to take forever to bake. One layer of bake-even strip is plenty. So use the shortest one possible for whatever size pan you are using.

csvess Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 28

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm going to try that parchment paper trick in the future.

I did have some batter left over after my original post and I tried again without the B.E. Strips. The cakes came out fine. But it still seems like the cakes are taking SO LONG.

It's a good point you have, jibbies. The problem may be with my oven. I'm going to get a thermometer and see what's going on.

Thanks again!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #7 of 28

my wasc always takes sooo long to bake...especially at 325. I think I have been baking the last few days (in an electric oven) and I have to do my 6" cake for like 50 mins...so, I don't know if that's just my oven...but I also fill my 2" pans pretty high as well.

I always notice a little sweating or gumminess as you stated when it's lightly baked...it's just because it came right out of the pan and it's warm...after I let it sit on the cooling wrack for 30-40 mins it's fine...don't worry about it. The only time you NEED to worry about the gummy/sweaty texture is when your top is not done...which means your center is not done.

I also have never had to use parchment paper on my cake pans...sorry you are having that problem. also, are you using regular sour cream? I noticed less sweating when I did lite sour cream. I think you can use either...mine always turn out fine with either though.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 28

.........my wasc always takes sooo long to bake...especially at 325. I think I have been baking the last few days (in an electric oven) and I have to do my 6" cake for like 50 mins...so, I don't know if that's just my oven...but I also fill my 2" pans pretty high as well..........

I bet one of your elements (most elec ovens have 2) is burned out. Have it checkedicon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.........my wasc always takes sooo long to bake...especially at 325. I think I have been baking the last few days (in an electric oven) and I have to do my 6" cake for like 50 mins...so, I don't know if that's just my oven...but I also fill my 2" pans pretty high as well..........

I bet one of your elements (most elec ovens have 2) is burned out. Have it checkedicon_smile.gif

yes...there are two elements, a top and bottom, and they are both always red and working! I think it's just that I fill my 2" pans so high because WASC doesn't rise very much. icon_smile.gif

csvess Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 28

So how much should pans really be filled? What is too much/not enough that it will affect the baking time? I usually go by the pan instructions, but always have to bake longer than the instructions say. And sometimes filling them the recommended amount seems like I'm going to overflow.

It's frustrating sometimes when I feel I can decorate a cake really well (for a beginner), but the baking basics are driving me crazy. icon_sad.gif I would just like someone else to do the baking and I'll do the rest!

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #11 of 28

I've gone back to using strictly shortening to grease my pans. What a difference! I used to use Baker's Joy or something similar (shortening/flour combo) but I'd always have a problem with sticking too. I now use a generic brand of shortening (NOT Crisco with it's "0 trans fat recipe." I use my grocery store's brand and it works like a charm...just like it did years ago w/regular Crisco(and then I started using the spray stuff and the problems began).

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 28

I'm new to cc. and was reading some of the post in this forum. What does wasc stand for.

csvess Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa0567

I'm new to cc. and was reading some of the post in this forum. What does wasc stand for.

Hello! That one took me awhile too. It's White Almond Sour Cream, a yummy cake recipe.

step0nmi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 28

well, generally you are suppose to fill your pans about 1/2 to 2/3rds full. I think I am filling mine like 3/4ths full...because the WASC recipe doesn't rise like the chocolate recipes do. So, when I have all of my batter in my pan there is about a fingertip left in the pan(which means up to the first knuckle) but I have small fingers icon_biggrin.gif I think when you fill the pan THIS full I need to realize i should just add on 20 mins to the regular baking time...I just make sure I am watching my cake though...I have to have it throughly cooked or else it will sink . Now that I do all of these things I have no problems.

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #15 of 28

Thanks csvess for the education in todays cake lingo. Wasc I wil have to try, must be very good. icon_wink.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #16 of 28

Yes, it does take long to bake! I usually have 2 or 3 pans in the oven for up to 90 minutes at 325 - but I have an old oven and I don't think it holds heat in very efficiently, even though the thermometer checks out fine.

I use parchment and bake even strips, too, and the sides are moist but still sturdy enough.

It has never fallen apart on me, though icon_confused.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:48am
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa0567

Thanks csvess for the education in todays cake lingo. Wasc I wil have to try, must be very good. icon_wink.gif

Ummm.. Have you heard of Heaven??? Something like that. It's sinfully good!!! icon_evil.gif

And not only does it taste good, it is extremely versatile in the flavorings that you can make it. The world is your oyster (or something like that). thumbs_up.gif

Good luck with it, and enjoy!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:22am
post #18 of 28

I just tried the WASC with Princess emulsion because I was out of almond extract and I have to say, I like it better! I used 3 t Princess and 1 t butter extract (because I use vanilla creamer in place in the water and vanilla yogurt in place of the sour cream). icon_biggrin.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:56am
post #19 of 28

can anyone share a WASC recipe that does not have cake mix?

where i live, cake mix from the boxes are really expensive (also explains why i am a scratch baker), so i would appreciate if there is a WASC 100% from scratch (if any).

TIA.

step0nmi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #20 of 28

mclaren-wow! I had never thought of that! maybe you could post another thread in a different section because I am not sure there IS one! so sorry...maybe I will go search icon_smile.gif

csvess Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:05pm
post #21 of 28

You're welcome! Although there's not too much lingo I know. I just happened to know that particular one. icon_smile.gif

step0nmi-Thank you for the guidelines. That will help me in the future.

Well, as much trouble as I had in the beginning, what I ate (of the cakes that fell apart) was absolutely yummy. My husband raved about it too and made everybody who came by try some. And once I got the cakes right, the finished decorated product came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. icon_wink.gif So it was definitely worth the hassle.

I really appreciate everyone's input, helping me to get it right.

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:17pm
post #23 of 28

to Mellissa0567..... if you go into forums and enter the "general" discussion you will find a thread that tells you about many of the CC acronyms.

I haven't tried the WASC recipe myself but it sounds good. Can anyone tell me if I can use dried egg whites (reconstituted of course) in this recipe?

kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:27pm
post #24 of 28

.......use dried egg whites (reconstituted of course) in this recipe?....

Why not? But why are you using just egg white?
If you use my *original* recipe you use whole eggs.

step0nmi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #25 of 28

ahhh! you can use whole eggs!? the recipe from this site is for a cake mix and it calls for 8 egg whites...is that yours?

csvess Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #26 of 28

I am curious about egg whites vs. whole eggs too. The recipe that I used from CC, not sure if it's the "original," called for any cake mix and whole eggs. I used white cake mix. On any white cake mix box I've ever seen the recipe was for egg whites. Did my cake fall apart because I used whole eggs with a white cake mix? Anybody know why some cake mixes call for whole eggs and others just egg whites.

I really want to get this right. And hubby says he can't lose weight because of all my "cake disasters" in the freezer. icon_rolleyes.gif

kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #27 of 28

.........Did my cake fall apart because I used whole eggs with a white cake mix.........

NO< NO< NO! icon_smile.gif Definately not. Using the yolks makes the cake stronger.

Here is the *original* WASC cake that I first posted on some cake boards years ago:

1 box cake mix*
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

3 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup liquid*
1 Tablespoon flavoring*
*See notes at end of recipe

In a bowl, mix the dry ingredents well. A wire whip/wisk is helpful.

In a KitchenAid mixer bowl, place the wet ingredients; add about 1/2 the dry ing. & mix on #1 for about 30 sec to moisten.
Add the rest of the dry ingred; mix again on #1 for 30 sec to moisten.
Beat on #4 for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans - (greased*)
Bake until you smell themicon_smile.gif The amount of time depends on the size of the pans - wich can be anywhere from 20 to 90 minutes.

*NOTES: Some people have used cake flour; I always use all purpose.
Any cake flavor can be used.
Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such as: lemon flavoring w/lemon cake; strawberry flavoring w/strawberry cake etc.
Most cake flavors can use a mixture of vanilla, butter and almond. I prefere this mix - one part vanilla (this can be anything from teaspoon to cup); 1/2 part butter and 1/4 part almond. If you mix it by the cup it can be used for flavoring both cake batter and icing.
Liquid can be water, cream, milk, juice to match your cake flavor. Most of the time I use water.
I have seen some people post that they used yogurt instead of sour cream....I prefere the SC icon_smile.gif but you could match the yogurt flavor to the cake flavor to give it a little flavor boost.
Most of the cakes I bake I grease & flour. Others say they grease only. Find what works for you.

This recipe make batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes. It is enough for a 10" sq; OR 12" round; OR 9x13 sheet OR two 8" rounds OR three or four 6" rounds - maybe other sizes I am not thinking of right now icon_smile.gif Be sure to fill any pan 2/3rds full of batter no matter what size/shape the pan is.

As you see from the notes, people have taken my *original* recipe and tweeked it to fit their own ways. Rebecca Sutterby(sp?) did that - she uses only egg whites & made the batch bigger for her white wedding cake orders but she has based her recipe on my *original* post.

csvess Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #28 of 28

Thanks for posting that, kakeladi. That is the recipe that I used. But I'm going to print it out so that I always have it on hand.

I followed it to a T. I think it just comes down to not baking it long enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%