Different Request

Decorating By maude Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm by jess85

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:30am
post #1 of 4

I have just gotten a request to make gumpaste carnations for a wedding cake. The bride's mom is going to make the cake but doesn't know how to make the flowers. Can anyone give me some idea on how much to charge per flower? I haven't had an order like that before.

3 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #2 of 4

I'm dealing with that right now. I just sold some of my "extra" freesias from my gerbera daisy cake to a woman that wanted them for the top of her cake (being made somewhere else, we had just met). I charged her $5 for a sprig. That's 3 buds and 2 flowers. I had enough to make her three. She was thrilled. I probably should have charged more but they were just sitting there and I'm hoping to get some more business from her.

Carnations are one of the most time consuming and harder flowers to make look really good. Do you know how long it takes to make one? You could see how many she wants and figure out an hourly rate and charge her that way. Or will you be making them into a spray? You could charge her say $35 for 5 of them with some filler flowers done in a spray.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:25am
post #3 of 4

Thanks lorrieg

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 4

carnations are pretty basic just lots of drying time in between layers, I would probably charge 4 per flower depending on your location I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%