Cake Boxes Not Big Enough

Decorating By amyfj1 Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 11:04am by mellormom

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:04am
post #1 of 10

I don't understand why cake boards are 14" x 19" and so are the cake boards. The boards don't fit in the boxes because they are the same size as the box. If I carve a little off the length I can get the board to fit the box. However, if I'm making a 12" x 18" cake, I can't trim the board because I won't have enough room for the boarder. Has anyone found boxes that are 14" x 20"? I end up having to use 18-1/2" x 26" boxes which cost a whole lot more. Help!

9 replies
confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:41am
post #2 of 10

i buy the 13 3/4 x 18 3/4 boards. they fit perfect

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 10

i buy my boxes from papermart and they are 14 1/2 x 20 1/8 they work perfect

http://www.papermart.com/templates/85-1-39.htm

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 10

I always use the 14 x 19 boards and boxes, The board fits nice and snug and it just pushes the box out a little (not that noticable). I think it helps to ensure the box doesn't bow into the cake. Gives me piece of mind that the cake board isn't going to slip around in the box during travel. JMO
Teresa

amyfj1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 10

confectionaryperfection, thanks so much for the website. I'm ordering the boxes tonight!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfj1

I don't understand why cake boards are 14" x 19" and so are the cake boards. The boards don't fit in the boxes because they are the same size as the box. If I carve a little off the length I can get the board to fit the box. However, if I'm making a 12" x 18" cake, I can't trim the board because I won't have enough room for the boarder. Has anyone found boxes that are 14" x 20"? I end up having to use 18-1/2" x 26" boxes which cost a whole lot more. Help!

I like the snug fit. I dont have to worry about the board shifting.

If you are worried about not having space to add a border to the cake use a bigger board and decorate it as well.

amyfj1 Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:16am
post #7 of 10

roxxxy_luvs_duff, I'm so sorry that I didn't thank you for the papermart.com link. Please forgive!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:38am
post #8 of 10

I'm having the same problem here for my 1/4 and 1/2 sheets that I do all the time. I get the trim on and it's even with the board then when I put it in the box there isn't a time it doesn't get squished by the box side. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................ I always say like it's gonna kill them to make the box an inch bigger. Thanks for this thread it's a pet peeve of mine.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:49am
post #9 of 10

I just unfasten the front of the box and slide the cake board in. Then I fasten the front again once the cake is sitting inside the box. When I deliver a cake I show the customer how to unfasten the front and slide the cake out.

Boxes are made the same size as the cake boards so they don't slide around while in transit.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:04am
post #10 of 10

If you have a box that it to big you can also put shelf liner under it and it won't slide. (even when your husband is driving! icon_smile.gif )
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%