My Course 2 Cake's Icing Slid Off..

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 12:06am by mbpbrighteyes

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 16

So as I was driving home from class I noticed my icing was sliding off the cake and it just looked like a land slide... icon_cry.gif

I was so sad, I'm going to attempt to fix it since my in laws have been wanting one of my cakes and I promised them this one.

So I think it's cuz I froze the cake the day before and I don't think it was unthawed all the way...could that be it???

well here are the pix.....
LL
LL
LL

15 replies
tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 16

Just an opinion,but the basketweave could have been too heavy for the white icing to hold,next time just use the basketweave for the icing.Great flowers by the wayicon_smile.gif

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 16

It looks to me as though your crumb coat may have been too thick and the weight of the icing underneath combined with the basket weave were too heavy so they both slid off. I hope this helps.

sttgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sttgirl Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 16

So sorry about the slide but your flowers and color flow figures are really nice. It might be that it didn't come to room temp before being frosted. icon_sad.gif

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 16

I also think that you iced your cake instead of crumb coating it. Too much icing and weight under the weave and gravity took its toll. But thats okay...it will still taste yummy!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #6 of 16

I personally don't think you iced your cake too heavily. I've seen some of my students come in with really heavily iced cakes (even though I tell them to ice them lightly) and their basketweave has never fallen off like this. I think it has to do with your freezing the cake. It probably wasn't all the way thawed out before you iced it.

You could just wipe that part off with a spatula and redo it there.

Good luck! Your flowers are really nice!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #7 of 16

The same thing happened to my course two cake. I used an all butter buttercream and it was too warm in the car. The basketweave slid right down. It was still delicious but I never got a picture of it. icon_rolleyes.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:19am
post #8 of 16

A few things could have happened. The icing was to thick and not well press to the cake. A crumbcoat is good enough when you are doing a basket weave. Humidity..a drive in a hot car..
You did a beautiful job anyways.. It shows!
Edna

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #9 of 16

Mine did the same thing and I chalked it up to the icing being too thin, plus the 1.5 hour drive home (don't ask...lol).

But I can tell the work you did was great, even if it did end up in a puddle. icon_smile.gif

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 16

I teach the wilton classes and have had students with the same problem. What they have in common is that their cakes were frozen. when your cake thaws, there is some condensation released. If you put icing on the sides before this condensation evaporates or the condensation appears after you ice the cake, the icing slides off because of the water. That is why the icing slid down but the basketweave design held its shape. The suggestion I give my students is to be sure the cake is totally thawed. Its the only preventative that I've found that works.

SweetPea0613 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

A few things could have happened. The icing was to thick and not well press to the cake. A crumbcoat is good enough when you are doing a basket weave. Humidity..a drive in a hot car..
Edna

Wow Compliments and suggestions from a SUPERSTAR! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm totally blushing! I love your work Edna and your youtube videos...I could watch them all day! thumbs_up.gif

But I kind of figured it out also, I think the cakes wasn't thawed and I had also used some of my filling( which was canned icing..lol) on the sides of the cake just not to waste it. So that stuff melted right away and ruined my cake...

Oh, and i was able to fix it... I scraped every single bit of basket weave off and started over..

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea0613

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna

Wow Compliments and suggestions from a SUPERSTAR! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm totally blushing! I love your work Edna and your youtube videos...I could watch them all day! thumbs_up.gif

But I kind of figured it out also, I think the cakes wasn't thawed and I had also used some of my filling( which was canned icing..lol) on the sides of the cake just not to waste it. So that stuff melted right away and ruined my cake...

Oh, and i was able to fix it... I scraped every single bit of basket weave off and started over..

lol..you are too sweet..the bad part about cakes is they can fall apart. The good part is, is only sugar it can be fix!...And best of all..from every thing that goes wrong, there is something new to learn, and practice will only make you better and faster. You are doing great..keep the good work.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you so much Edna...it really means a lot coming from you icon_biggrin.gif

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 16

OMG mine did the same thing. I know your pain. My mom couldn't stop laughing. One side looked perfect then we opened the container and UGGGHHH!!!

tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea0613

Thank you so much Edna...it really means a lot coming from you icon_biggrin.gif

Anytime! thumbs_up.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #16 of 16

Smiles- The same thing happened to me this past weekend with a monster cake I was making for a birthday party!!! He was all finished and cute and while I was cleaning up globs of icing/fur started falling off!!!! Had to re-do the whole thing! I totally feel for you! I'm just a newbie so I can't speak on the crumb coat or frozen thing, but I can tell you I think those flowers are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%