I Just Had To Tell Someone.

Decorating By waterlily Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm by waterlily

waterlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterlily Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 23

I had an appointment for a 3-D cake in the shape of a baby formula can, for 50 people. I told them that I charged $3.00/ per serving for such cakes and they agreed to meet with me. I had already rescheduled with her once. Well any way, today she calls me back to cancel because she has found someone to make it for her for $100. I told her that was fine and to jump on such a deal. It's not common for 3-D cakes to be made in my area, I think because no one wants to pay for them. I do appreciate her letting me know. My concern is that I am over charging for such work? icon_confused.gif I know it shouldn't bother me this much. Im just venting my concern. icon_sad.gif Thanks for hearing me out!

22 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 23

For some people, it will always be about the money. Check around and see just where you fit into your area regarding price. After that, adjust your prices if you feel you need to. But NEVER decrease your prices because someone wants to cheap-out.

I have seen indydebi say so many times "If you don't put a true value on your talents, the world won't raise your price for you" and it's so true that I have added it to my signature, so it will remind me every time I see it.

Like those L'Oreal commercials say "Because I'm worth it!"

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 23

I charge $4.00 a serving and I won't do a 3D cake for anything less!! They are a tremendous amount of time and work so don't ever under estimate your value!! Let her go get it for $100.00...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 23

My carved stuff starts @ $7. let her go.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 23

My 3-d stuff starts out at $7 per serving..............my shop is in the middle of no-whereville...............so I get alot of flack about my prices.........O'WELL!! NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 23

I decided to call some of the cake places here and Cruces to get an idea of pricing in our area. The list is kinda short, only because a lot of the places I called didn't have anyone who spoke english working, and I don't speak much spanish. icon_redface.gif

Sweet Art Festive Cakes http://www.sweetartfestivecakes.com/Welcome.htm
Start at $4/serving for BC, doesn't like to do fondant, but will, but "it gets really expensive, and the price depends on the design"

Cakes by Sonny on Altura
BC - $1.50
Fondant - $2.50

Greggerson's Cake Cottage on Alameda
BC - $1.60 does not do fondant

International Bakery and Deli on Mesa
BC & Fondant $2.25

The Cake Factory http://www.elpasodirectory.org/advertisers/thecakefactory.htm
BC - $2
Fondant - $3

Baby Cakes by Marcy http://www.babycakeselpaso.com/index.html
$1.50 for BC and fondant icon_eek.gif

Tommy's Cake Shop in Cruces
BC - $2.25
Fondant - $2.55

Let Them Eat Cake in Cruces
Prices start at $6 (she doesn't have a website, but I saw a cake she did in the Sabroso! Magazine, VERY pretty!)

I don't think your prices are unreasonable. You were right when you said people here just don't want to pay for it. Gotta love EP! icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 23

A formula can isn't really carving to me.. so I wouldn't charge my carved price (which is like Kory.. $7/serving). I'd do it for $5.50/serving and depending on the details it might go up a little. People will always want something for nothing.. don't let it bother you. ((hugs))

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 23

Sorry to jump in, but you are right- People are crazy about the money. I had a friend ask me to do her sons birthday sheet cake to serve 20 people this Saturday with an edible image of Transformers. Before she told me which cake she wanted I sent her 5 different cakes I could do and the price for each- Then last night she emails me and asks how much the cake will be so I told her 2.50 per serving pus $5 for the frosting image sheet, which is exactly what I had told her prior. Then she emails me this...
how come home made cake is never like .50 a serving? I noticed that the kids who come to my parties never finish the whole piece they are given. so can I like charge them for not eating it???
I sent back that if she would rather make it herself I would not be offended and she wrote back- oh no i definitely want you to make it. But it just made me so mad.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimagination

Then she emails me this...
how come home made cake is never like .50 a serving? I noticed that the kids who come to my parties never finish the whole piece they are given. so can I like charge them for not eating it???

Charge them for not eating it?! I'd like to see her try and collect on that one! Amazing.

jimagination Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 23

Yeah, and if you think about it, each child will be spending at least $10 on a gift for her son, there are 20 kids and I personally have 2 sons going...Ok I am pregnant and just getting hormonally angry again...Sorry. icon_razz.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimagination

Then she emails me this...

icon_confused.gif O
icon_surprised.gif M
icon_eek.gif G

Are you freakin' serious?????

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 23

Friend or not...after a statement like that I'd tell her to shove it!

"Home made" cakes my ass!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 23

How in the world can these people charge $1.50 per serving without GOING IN THE HOLE?

I am stunned.

icon_eek.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:22pm
post #14 of 23

Simple solution... if the little ones don't eat it all maybe the slices are to big for them to eat???

Tell her to cut the pieces smaller for the little ones.
thumbs_up.gif

jimagination Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 23

My husband told me to tell her to shove it! Unfortunately I am the Cub Master for the local pack and she is one of the den leaders. I called her friend, but she is not someone I would hang out with. I am glad you all see it the way i did and its not just my hormones. icon_rolleyes.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #16 of 23

I had a lady tell me she couldn't afford the 30 euros I was going to charge for 1/4 sheet cake, personalized with requested colors/design AND a matching smash cake I was giving 'free' for baby's 1st birthday. She wanted to feed 25, so I adjusted what I could do to still not be making it for free, but she thought it was too much money.

Last week I found an ad for the local 'go to' place for cakes (which equals about 1/2" high sponge cake, whipped cream and an edible photo on top, sized about 8x10") and found that their slightly larger cake served 25 and was 30 euros.

I know she had to have gone here, everyone does. What I would have done would've been soooo much better than that...man, her loss!!! People think about saving that little bit of money, but sometimes that little more gives them so very much more value!

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #17 of 23

Homemade-Goodies said:

Quote:
Quote:

sometimes that little more gives them so very much more value!

so, so true - like a cake that tastes so good you hover around looking for an extra piece (or is that just me? icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif ) rather than tasting like the floor of a budgie cage covered in sickly sticky goo. Some people never cease to amaze me icon_rolleyes.gif Never mind...it's their loss.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:22pm
post #18 of 23

I run into customers lying all the time, trying to drive down my price. (I don't sell cakes but have been in the hote/catering biz for 18 yrs) You know what I tell them? That sounds like an excellent deal, and you should go for it, that I cannot touch it. Many, many times they come back to me. "So-and-so is "throwing in" free shrimp cocktail. " Sure they are. " So and so is giving me free overnight rooms for the entire wedding party." Mmmmhmmmm. Let it go, and don't think about it again.

waterlily Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:46am
post #19 of 23

Thanks everyone for your words of uplifting. Speaking of those $1.50 prices,I too charge only $1.75 for buttercream and $2.75 for fondant with basic flavor and basic filling here in El Paso, TX. Now looking at the information that lanibird gave me I think I should raise them to where everyone else has them. It would be great if I could charge even the $2.00 per serving for buttercream as a starting price but its already hard enough trying to get clients with these prices. icon_cry.gif I live in a border town where people can go across to mexico and buy cakes for less. Im just starting out and Im trying to get my name and a good reputaion out there.

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 8:41am
post #20 of 23

I love the coupon on baby cakes El Paso's website. It's free delivery with a minimum $50 order....no specification of where she'll deliver to, only that it's a $5 value...I think I'm going to order a cake for delivery in CA!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily

Thanks everyone for your words of uplifting. Speaking of those $1.50 prices,I too charge only $1.75 for buttercream and $2.75 for fondant with basic flavor and basic filling here in El Paso, TX. Now looking at the information that lanibird gave me I think I should raise them to where everyone else has them. It would be great if I could charge even the $2.00 per serving for buttercream as a starting price but its already hard enough trying to get clients with these prices. icon_cry.gif I live in a border town where people can go across to mexico and buy cakes for less. Im just starting out and Im trying to get my name and a good reputaion out there.

I don't have a business, but do sell cakes to family and friends. I hope someday to have my own bakery. I thought the same thing about getting my name out there, but soon realized even with family and friends, it's hard to change prices later. It's better to charge what I'm worth NOW, so they don't freak out later when I really would HAVE to charge more.

I sold a 9x13 sheetcake to a friend of my daughter for $20. (I was trying to be nice.....dang it! I have got to stop being so nice!) Everytime I hear from them now they'll take that $20 cake please! icon_eek.gif I didn't mean to make them think every 9x13 cake was $20! icon_cry.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:59pm
post #22 of 23

I had a lady contact me this week to do a purple camp rock guitar for 40, I qouted her $110 for it, plus the edible images... she wrote back and ordered a 1/2 sheet instead... some people just won't pay that kind of money and some will.... you will find this often, so chin up, it will work out... you will get some customers who never bat an eye at what you charge. I know I am undercharging on mine anyway. Hope it works out for you!

waterlily Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #23 of 23

I actually have a friend that tells me that Im too nice 'cause Im always under pricing my stuff. She tells me to charge full price when I make anything for her. I know that it will be harder to up the price later I have been told that already as well. Usually by the time the order is taken they end up paying what I want to get paid anyways with my starting prices. I guess thats why they are starting prices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%