Can I Buy Your Gum Paste Figurine?

Business By loriemoms Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm by FromScratch

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 12

I dont know if this is kosher for the forem or not, but I would love to find someone who doesn't charge an arm and a leg to make some gum paste bride and grooms for me, and any cake toppers! I get so many brides who want something different and I just don't have time to go into the cake topper biz! Do any of you have a yearning to have a cake top biz and want to sell me cake toppers? Or know of someone who is looking to sell them on a regular basis?? Or even let me know you have a biz already and tell brides about you? Its seems to be a lost wedding thing, unless you want to pay 1000 bucks for a bobble head cake topper !

11 replies
OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 12

How much are you looking to pay?

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 12

I don't know how to do people, but I like making animals. I don't know how they would hold up in shipping or how to package them.

bmullard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmullard Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 12

Oh me, pick me!!! I never thought of using gumpaste to make a wedding cake topper. I make fondant characters and figures al the time. Any suggestions on how I start to do something like this?

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #5 of 12

From what I've seen here, several of you would be good candidates for this kind of work. Some of the sites that make custom, permanent toppers from polymer clay charge as much as $400 for the bride/groom set. You could offer a more affordable gumpaste alternative.

Take a look at these sites:

www.microdwarf.com
www.magicmud.com
www.kormanstudio.com
www.joshclay.com/caketoppers.html

Most of these say that they are booked up and not taking any more orders.

I think there's definitely a market out there (or through PM requests here on CC if it's allowed).[/url]

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:46am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_in_CajunCountry

From what I've seen here, several of you would be good candidates for this kind of work. Some of the sites that make custom, permanent toppers from polymer clay charge as much as $400 for the bride/groom set. You could offer a more affordable gumpaste alternative.

Take a look at these sites:

www.microdwarf.com
www.magicmud.com
www.kormanstudio.com
www.joshclay.com/caketoppers.html

Most of these say that they are booked up and not taking any more orders.

I think there's definitely a market out there (or through PM requests here on CC if it's allowed).[/url]

That is exactly what I was thinking...if any of you do decide to make this into a biz, you would do great! (I will gladly link to your site if you want to ship to brides) They can ship gum paste flowers, why not figurines?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:52am
post #7 of 12

When we got married we had a custom made blown glass one. If interested I can dig up the info.

Mike

After I sent my post I remembered the guys name. Here is a link to his site. He does very nice work. He also made me a Scarlet Macaw.
http://www.stevensglasschalet.com/

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 12

Check out this site:

http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/characterfig.htm

She is getting $2600 for a cake topper, but they are really awesome.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 12

Those are amazing!!!! I wish that I could do something like that.

Loriemoms... Im gonna hijack your thread for like 2 seconds.

Would any one that does gumpaste flowers be willing to make me 2 parrot tulips??? I can't find any ANYWHERE in my area. If your interested please pm me for details.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 12

I would gladly be interested in putting your link on my website as well. This is such a great business venture.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 12

I make gumpaste toppers sometimes, but they're not as detailed as the ones on those websites. They're more cartoony, but I customize them with the couples' hair color, etc. I'm currently working on a couple of turkeys (I'm not kidding) wearing wedding clothes.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 12

I have made flowers for others before.. I make figures too, but it depends on how much you are looking to spend. If you still need someone.. PM me. I don't normally like to sell them independently from the cakes, but for a CC pal.. I could. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%