Painting Luster Dust

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a guitar cake for my cousin's husbands birthday. She sent me pics of the guitar he has and I noticed that on the end of it, the handle area, there are silver knobs on the side, I guess to tighten up the strings? Anyways, I am thinking about painting fondant silver with my silver luster dust, but anytime I try painting fondant, it always comes out streaky. I never use alcohol because we don't drink so I have always used my clear vanilla extract and poured the dust into that ... Is there a better way to get the right consistency for a better paint job? thanks

9 replies
Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 10

You should use lemon extract. It works better. If you have an airbrush, that is the only way to get it really even.

Try the lemon extract and use even strokes that should help

Good luck

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 10

I agree... lemon extract works better since it dries quicker, but you will have the stroke marks. Good luck!!!

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 10

I use rose essence and find that if you do a couple of coats each in a different direction it works well. for small areas i mix it quite thick and that works really well

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 10

WTH is rose essence?!icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 10

pure alcohol you buy form cake supplies purely intended for the use of decorating as it is such high concentrated it eveaporated super fast so that your fandant dries really fast and doesn't go soggy its brilliant even for cleaning of fingerprints and marks of your fondant etc

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 10

I've also found that if you tap the dust out FIRST and THEN add the liquid with an eyedropper, it mixes better and goes on smoother. I guess it's because it's easier to adjust the liquid that way!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 10

AWESOME!! Where do you get that?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 10

It has to be fairly thick to avoid streaks. Here's what I do:

Pour the dust into a ramekin. Pour the vodkal or extract into a shot glass (or other small container). I mix a few drops of alcohol into the dust and mix it around. Then I just dip my brush into the alcohol and into the dust and smooth it around in the ramekin before painting.

One thing to remember is that is you have leftover "paint", the alcohol will evaporate and you can re-use the dust.

Oh! And for silver, start with gray colored fondant to reduce streaks. For gold I use a light brown base. (I tried green as I've seen suggested for gold and it didn't look as nice as the brown).

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 10

thanks everyone! I will give it my best shot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%