How To Make Extra Special Buttercream.....

Decorating By mariela_ms Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 12:25am by kakeladi

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 5

Fluffy?

So I tried the Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream recipe and I loved it! I've had a hard time with my family members accepting my regular buttercream because it is a texture too sweet and something we are not used to.

THe Extra Special recipe is soo good! But I thought since it contained whipping cream it would "whip" up at least some bit. My didn't. It was delicious but it didn't whip up. It was a little too runny for me.

Do I have to beat it with the whisk attachment to make it whip?

Please Cake GOds and Goddesses enlighten me!!! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 5

I always beat my icing w/the whiskicon_smile.gif
How long did you beat it? Maybe you are not giving it enough time.
If you make y our icing batch big enough that it coversw the whisk and let it mix on low for 3-5 minutes it should be light, somewhat fluffy, creamy and sooooooo goodicon_smile.gif

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 5

I think I am not beating it enough then....But I agree.. It is delicious. I am trying it longer time and with the whisk attachment. Thanks!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

I make this recipe and I love it. I use a KA 600 with the paddle. After it's all together, I usually let it mix on medium for about 5 mins. It comes out fairly "fluffy", but not overly airy.

I also use hi ratio shortening with it (either 1/2 or 3/4ths shortening, depending on the weather/temperature).

I do think that from what others have said, the recipe is a bit "flatter"/greasier/runnier with the 0 trans fat Crisco. Wilton has even updated some of their other recipes because of the change in Crisco.

HTH
Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

It's funny how we all do things different. If I'm rebeating the b 'cream I will use the paddle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%