Fondant Bow Topper For Wedding Cake

Decorating By doodlebugs Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm by UltimateCakes

doodlebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodlebugs Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 8

I have an order for a wedding cake in September, the bride wants a fondant bow for the topper. I have never worked with fondant and my question or questions are; is there a tutorial of a large looped bow topper or can you buy these premade and if so could someone direct me in that direction. This is only my second wedding cake and it seems simple other than the bow that I can't make. Any help would be appreciated!

7 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 8

See the Articles tab at the top of the page on CC? It's full of wonderful lessons and how-to's by members on here.

Here's the one I think you're looking for?

http://www.cakecentral.com/article17-How-to-Make-a-Fondant-Loop-Bow.html

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

I've made bows before from that tutorial and it works perfectly. I have a pasta machine but I don't bother with it, it's easier just rolling it out by hand. When I hang it on the dowel, I cover the dowel with plastic wrap and then dust the plastic wrap with corn starch.

Sometimes you can find ready-made fondant bows for sale on ebay...I just looked and the only one I saw was $50 which is a total rip-off.

If by any chance you're in San Antonio, I'll make a bow for you.

psyndi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psyndi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the info. I have a cake with a large bow on top. I have made small ones before but nothing this size thanks for the info.

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 8

GO FOR IT!!!!! I made my first one one year ago and people I know are still talking about it. It was cute. big and loopy. It had buttercream dots all over it in ping with a white pearl dusted bow. Very cute.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 8

They aren't too difficult. Allow plenty of time for it to dry. They are so pretty and fun to make!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 8

They are really kind of fun to make! You could try making one with Wilton's fondant--that way you will know what the consistency of fondant should feel like before you try making your own fondant. I also found that the bow loops dried quicker by using half gum paste and half fondant--once again you could start with wilton gum paste mix. All you have to do is just give it a try! The tutorials on here are great--just follow the directions--that's what I did! You can do it!!! The one thing that I learned was to allow tons of time to make sure those loops dry thoroughly before you assemble the bow. Gum paste will make it dry quicker, but I'd still allow a good week for the loops to dry and I put mine together with candy melts. Go for it!!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%